This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2012-10-24 17:05:30

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Re: Flash project player is now the default!

We've pushed a new version of the Flash-based player (v167).
This fixes numerous bugs:

- bug: draggable sprites responding badly to sprite movement blocks while being dragged
- bug: 'mouse-pointer' and 'edge' args confused with sprites named 'mouse' and 'edge' when reading old projects
- bug: hidden sprites do not respond to "touching mouse"
- bug: whirl graphic effect is off-center when viewing a project in full screen mode
- bug: "stop all" block should stop sound clips that are running
- bug: Shift-Click Green Flag doesn't enable Turbo Mode

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#52 2012-10-24 17:56:44

dvd4
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

- bug: draggable sprites responding badly to sprite movement blocks while being dragged
- bug: 'mouse-pointer' and 'edge' args confused with sprites named 'mouse' and 'edge' when reading old projects
- bug: whirl graphic effect is off-center when viewing a project in full screen mode

Yay ! A another step toward scratch 2.0 !

Oh wait,that's not good  hmm

I made a mod  big_smile  It's called blook!
http://i49.tinypic.com/16ia63p.png

#53 2012-10-25 02:22:16

s_federici
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

your status will carry over, even if forum posts do not

Wow, this is REALLY BAD news!!! Posts in the Scratch forums are an incredible resource (especially the ones from the Advanced Topics forum. Can we hope that, at least, the old forums will still be accessible (even if in a frozen status)?

#54 2012-10-25 02:59:31

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

s_federici wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Wow, this is REALLY BAD news!!! Posts in the Scratch forums are an incredible resource (especially the ones from the Advanced Topics forum. Can we hope that, at least, the old forums will still be accessible (even if in a frozen status)?

The plan for Scratch 2.0 is that we'll have a new set of forums (hence why Lightnin says that the forum posts will not carry over). We're not getting rid of the old forum, though, it's just going to be archived/inactive. ^^

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#55 2012-10-25 05:15:27

s_federici
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

We're not getting rid of the old forum, though, it's just going to be archived/inactive. ^^

That's better  smile

#56 2012-10-25 13:07:11

ahirbhairav
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

s_federici wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

The plan for Scratch 2.0 is that we'll have a new set of forums (hence why Lightnin says that the forum posts will not carry over). We're not getting rid of the old forum, though, it's just going to be archived/inactive. ^^

Yay, relief at last.

#57 2012-10-25 14:57:17

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

s_federici wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Yaaaay. Thanks ST!

Last edited by CheeseMunchy (2012-10-25 14:57:42)

#58 2012-10-25 15:04:53

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Care to share what you don't like about 2.0?

#59 2012-10-25 15:10:07

TRocket
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

yeah, a year or two ago literally everyone was exited about scratch 2.0 and wanted it to come as soon as possible...

http://i.imgur.com/1QqnHxQ.png

#60 2012-10-25 15:16:47

Lightnin
Scratch Team

s_federici wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

We're not getting rid of the old forum, though, it's just going to be archived/inactive. ^^

That's better  smile

Yeah! I was thinking about this recently. It'll be a pain to have to setup and maintain a whole server to serve an archive of the forums. Does anyone know if the wayback machine will have copy of everything? It'd be a lot easier to just provide a link to the archives, and let someone else keep them visible.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#61 2012-10-25 15:19:32

MathWizz
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

s_federici wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

That's better  smile

Yeah! I was thinking about this recently. It'll be a pain to have to setup and maintain a whole server to serve an archive of the forums. Does anyone know if the wayback machine will have copy of everything? It'd be a lot easier to just provide a link to the archives, and let someone else keep them visible.

I would think that would be risky...

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

#62 2012-10-25 15:30:10

TRocket
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

s_federici wrote:

That's better  smile

I would think that would be risky...

yeah, and the forums haven't even been crawled once fully yet and when it does it will be archiving over 99186 pages, and that's just assuming it only does one page for each topic...

http://i.imgur.com/1QqnHxQ.png

#63 2012-10-25 15:40:35

dvd4
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

1)The forums will be archived.
2)Lots of projects won't work.
3)We will all be new scratchers again.
4)Scratch will be fLaSh based.

These are my biggest concerns.

#64 2012-10-25 15:45:16

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

3)We will all be new scratchers again.

We will NOT be New Scratchers again.

#65 2012-10-25 15:49:13

dvd4
Scratcher

CheeseMunchy wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

3)Scratch will be fLaSh based.

okay, but what about the others ?

#66 2012-10-25 15:56:41

CheeseMunchy
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

CheeseMunchy wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

3)Scratch will be fLaSh based.

okay, but what about the others ?

1)Tiz sad, but we'll have a new forums.  smile
2)We'll see.
3)What's the problem with that?

#67 2012-10-25 16:09:11

FiremariomkiZX
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

1. Like that's a problem? It only archives THIS forum. There's a second forum.
2. How would a project not work when EVERYTHING in 2.0 can work since the Player is going to be basically the same thing as the editor? My only beef with the flash is when I first tried it out, things were extremely off center; a nightmare for Castlevania esque games. Not sure if it changed, but 2.0 will have basically all the same features as 1.4, including modifiable center (if I remember correctly)
4. Like, how is that bad? You do realize flash is used in so many things in so many places that there has to be something done right? Want an example of a flash-based thing? Youtube. Want an example of a great Flash-Game? Binding of Isaac, and Meat Boy, and the game Steven, a boss from Binding of Isaac, was from. Want an example of a great animation in Flash? Almost everything from Egoraptor, or Brawl Taunts, or Gosh, MODERN CARTOONS (like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to name just one)

Seems to me you're just either complaining to complain, think that They Changed It, Now It Sucks, or you're simply a troll. Face it, you're actually one of the very few people who complains about 2.0.

http://i.imgur.com/8zQZV.jpg

#68 2012-10-25 16:20:19

dvd4
Scratcher

FiremariomkiZX wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

2. How would a project not work when EVERYTHING in 2.0 can work since the Player is going to be basically the same thing as the editor? My only beef with the flash is when I first tried it out, things were extremely off center; a nightmare for Castlevania esque games. Not sure if it changed, but 2.0 will have basically all the same features as 1.4, including modifiable center (if I remember correctly)
4. Like, how is that bad? You do realize flash is used in so many things in so many places that there has to be something done right? Want an example of a flash-based thing? Youtube. Want an example of a great Flash-Game? Binding of Isaac, and Meat Boy, and the game Steven, a boss from Binding of Isaac, was from. Want an example of a great animation in Flash? Almost everything from Egoraptor, or Brawl Taunts, or Gosh, MODERN CARTOONS (like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic to name just one)

Seems to me you're just either complaining to complain, think that They Changed It, Now It Sucks, or you're simply a troll. Face it, you're actually one of the very few people who complains about 2.0.

I'm no troll, but I am one of the few smart people.

#69 2012-10-25 16:31:20

SJRCS_011
Scratcher

FiremariomkiZX wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

Might i add that on #2, more projects do not work in the java player compared to the flash player.
Now back on topic:
Having the flash player default imo is better, mainly because more projects work better in it than in the java player.

http://i.imgur.com/vQqtH.png
Learning to Program in a Nutshell:  "You're missing a closing parentheses" - LS97

#70 2012-10-25 16:41:32

FiremariomkiZX
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

FiremariomkiZX wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

Explain your intelligence then. Give us a RATIONAL and DETAILED explaination of WHY the new Flash approach sucks, because it doesn't seem like you're really doing yourself a good job of proving your point.

http://i.imgur.com/8zQZV.jpg

#71 2012-10-25 16:47:56

dvd4
Scratcher

FiremariomkiZX wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

FiremariomkiZX wrote:

Explain your intelligence then. Give us a RATIONAL and DETAILED explaination of WHY the new Flash approach sucks, because it doesn't seem like you're really doing yourself a good job of proving your point.

Have you ever seen the flash player ? The purple half-BYOB ? The stage on the left ? the buggy data ? I'm guessing no.

#72 2012-10-25 16:54:08

Willpower
Scratcher

Guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinions- if dvd does not like things in 2.0 fine and if Firemario likes 2.0 thats cool as well. I don't think there is any point in getting into a flame war over it...

http://i49.tinypic.com/e84kdj.png

#73 2012-10-25 16:56:13

dvd4
Scratcher

Willpower wrote:

Guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinions- if dvd does not like things in 2.0 fine and if Firemario likes 2.0 thats cool as well. I don't think there is any point in getting into a flame war over it...

We aren't having a flame war,we're having a flame battle  tongue

#74 2012-10-25 16:58:58

Willpower
Scratcher

dvd4 wrote:

Willpower wrote:

We aren't having a flame war,we're having a flame battle  tongue

At the moment... It might turn into a full on war if someone does not try and stop it  tongue
Posted at the same time as Paddle, read post below v

Last edited by Willpower (2012-10-25 17:00:29)

http://i49.tinypic.com/e84kdj.png

#75 2012-10-25 16:59:00

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

dvd4 wrote:

FiremariomkiZX wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

Have you ever seen the flash player ? The purple half-BYOB ? The stage on the left ? the buggy data ? I'm guessing no.

Okay...that's enough flaming.  This topic is not for a drag-out discussion on the pros and cons of 2.0.  If you have something to say about making it the default player, then please proceed.  Otherwise, remember that everything is in flux.  If you have some constructive feedback, please make it on the feedback topic.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer