This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-10-07 14:04:33

777w
Scratcher

Re: bird-feeding discrimination

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

i will continue feeding them. they ARE NOT PESTS. we share our towns/cities/parks with them. they can't help "being a problem" (which i don't believe they do). and i never said that because they can't go in a public toilet doesn't make them pests! what i mean was tat they can't help pooing on things. and the reasons on the webpages you posted links to WERE STUPID!!!

We SHOULD NOT be sharing out towns/cities/parks. Pigeons should live in the wild but FEEDING attracts them back to the cities to poop on things and spread disease. Stop feeding, they stop coming and being pests.

feeding pigeons actually helps depressed people get better (TRUE FACT)

again, show your sources or your claims will not be credible

#27 2012-10-07 14:12:37

jukyter
Scratcher

i'd imagine that's like something showing <3 to them

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#28 2012-10-07 14:14:37

nama
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

i'd imagine that's like something showing <3 to them

[offtopic] Did you notice the layering glitch with the cup and the hammer in your signature? lol

Last edited by nama (2012-10-07 14:14:50)

You say goodbye to 1.4, I say hello to 2.0.

#29 2012-10-07 14:15:27

jukyter
Scratcher

this signature is profitable
no i didn't
what hammer?
are you sure you're well?

#30 2012-10-07 14:15:50

9star
Scratcher

nama wrote:

I personally like pigeons but I don't feed them

Also if you live in the USA like myself pigeons are not "wildlife" since they are all introduced from europe and are a major invasive species

And please explain why the reasons on those sites "WERE STUPID!!!" They seemed like perfectly valid reasons to me.

why pigeons are a good thing:
1) well, as someone else said, you can get self repairing paint so pigeon poo isn't a problem with cars.
2)poo can be cleaned off pavements (and be used for composting!) it is only dry pigeon poop that gives you lung infections and in the open air it isn't a problem.
3)pigeons add life to a city, making in a nicer and more natural place.
4)feeding pigeons can help make depressed people better.
5)  yes, you can catch "A FEW" diseases from them but the risk of infection from pigeon to human is very low!.
6)i feed (and most other people) them bird seed from the pet-store which is designed for birds and therefore healthy. 
7)it is fun feeding pigeons! once i was feeding them and some teens came over to have a look. i offered them some food and this boy was holding the pigeon on his arm like it was his mighty hawk. he and his friends really enjoyed feeding them!.

I weigh less than a slice of Cheese

#31 2012-10-07 14:32:41

videogame9
Scratcher

9star wrote:

nama wrote:

Also if you live in the USA like myself pigeons are not "wildlife" since they are all introduced from europe and are a major invasive species

And please explain why the reasons on those sites "WERE STUPID!!!" They seemed like perfectly valid reasons to me.

2)poo can be cleaned off pavements (and be used for composting!) it is only dry pigeon poop that gives you lung infections and in the open air it isn't a problem.
3)pigeons add life to a city, making in a nicer and more natural place.
4)feeding pigeons can help make depressed people better.
5)  yes, you can catch "A FEW" diseases from them but the risk of infection from pigeon to human is very low!.
6)i feed (and most other people) them bird seed from the pet-store which is designed for birds and therefore healthy.

source?

Last edited by videogame9 (2012-10-07 14:33:04)

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4118/newvg9logo.png
QUOTE OF THE RIGHT NOW: why are we arguing about dead babies? -videogame9

#32 2012-10-07 14:57:04

9star
Scratcher

videogame9 wrote:

9star wrote:

nama wrote:

1)poo can be cleaned off pavements (and be used for composting!) it is only dry pigeon poop that gives you lung infections and in the open air it isn't a problem.
2)pigeons add life to a city, making in a nicer and more natural place.
3)feeding pigeons can help make depressed people better.
4)  yes, you can catch "A FEW" diseases from them but the risk of infection from pigeon to human is very low!.
5)i feed (and most other people) them bird seed from the pet-store which is designed for birds and therefore healthy.

source?

no. 1 source:  poo can be cleaned off (thats obvious. it doesn't need a source) and poo can be composted (again, that is so obvious). and my dad told me about the pigeon lung. pigeon fanciers used to get it because they used to like, bring their pigeons in their house a lot.
no. 2 source:  what would a city be like with no animals? it would be horrible, right?
no. 3 source: life in general. in y town there was this weird guy who looked a bit depressed. he started feeding pigeons and each time i saw him doing it he looked a bit better.
no.4 source: what scientists have said (ive read in on a few websites)
no. 5 source: well; seed is better than bread.

#33 2012-10-07 15:00:10

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

videogame9 wrote:

9star wrote:

1)poo can be cleaned off pavements (and be used for composting!) it is only dry pigeon poop that gives you lung infections and in the open air it isn't a problem.
4)  yes, you can catch "A FEW" diseases from them but the risk of infection from pigeon to human is very low!.
5)i feed (and most other people) them bird seed from the pet-store which is designed for birds and therefore healthy.

source?

no. 1 source:  poo can be cleaned off (thats obvious. it doesn't need a source) and poo can be composted (again, that is so obvious). and my dad told me about the pigeon lung. pigeon fanciers used to get it because they used to like, bring their pigeons in their house a lot.
no. 2 source:  what would a city be like with no animals? it would be horrible, right?
no. 3 source: life in general. in y town there was this weird guy who looked a bit depressed. he started feeding pigeons and each time i saw him doing it he looked a bit better.

by source he means please provide links to support your claims just like luiysia did

#34 2012-10-07 15:08:22

werdna123
Scratcher

nama wrote:

You came from Europe too, you know.

#35 2012-10-07 15:17:18

nama
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

nama wrote:

humans are the biggest invasive species on the planet

#36 2012-10-07 15:28:01

9star
Scratcher

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

videogame9 wrote:

source?

by source he means please provide links to support your claims just like luiysia did

oh sorry but some of them didn't come from websites and others i'v forgotten the sources but i hope what i put helps. (they are valid reasons and they list where i got the info from)

#37 2012-10-07 15:33:04

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

oh sorry but some of them didn't come from websites and others i'v forgotten the sources but i hope what i put helps. (they are valid reasons and they list where i got the info from)

without proper sources to back up your claims you cant be believed completely

#38 2012-10-07 15:39:25

9star
Scratcher

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

well, i am telling the truth and i just hope some people believe me...  but i try to find "proper" sources so be patient.

#39 2012-10-07 15:44:21

luiysia
Scratcher

9star wrote:

videogame9 wrote:

9star wrote:

source?

1) To clean up poop people need to go around and scrape it off. Since usually people aren't willing to go around touching bird poop all day for free, the city would probably need to hire people or get a private company to do it (though that is unlikely). This is money that could go towards things like the police force and other litter.
2) If you didn't feed the pigeons, they would not go away, there would simply be less and they would bother people less (since if you feed pigeons a lot they start to rely on people for food). There are scads of dropped food in lots of cities.
3) Anecdotal evidence does not constitute a source. However, taking care of pets  does help depression so I will concede that point.
4) please link. Also the more you feed them the higher the chance of infection will be because they will hang around people more and have more squabs.
5) uh... I guess?

Also you didn't really explain why the reasons were stupid, you just went for the rebuttal.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#40 2012-10-07 16:45:55

jukyter
Scratcher

werdna123 wrote:

nama wrote:

Also I don't go blaming you guys for killing off the red squirrel and bringing a grey one round!!

#41 2012-10-07 17:04:58

nama
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

werdna123 wrote:

nama wrote:

Also I don't go blaming you guys for killing off the red squirrel and bringing a grey one round!!

I wasn't trying to blame anyone, but it's true. They aren't a native species.
Invasive species make me mad

Then again humans are invasive species as well

Last edited by nama (2012-10-07 17:05:52)

#42 2012-10-07 18:12:44

maxskywalker
Scratcher

9star wrote:

videogame9 wrote:

9star wrote:

source?

Concerning cancer:

1.  Cancer can be survived.  That's obvious.
2.  How would doctor feel if they couldn't treat patients for cancer anymore?  It would be horrible, right?
3.  (not concerning cancer; couldn't think of a could thing to go with that) I was 'depressed in general' for a long time.  Music, programming, etc.  There are things besides feeding pigeons if you get up and look around.  If not, if you can stomach a scary story, read Jeff the Killer which you can find either at the link or on Page 5 of the old Creepypasta thread.  The justification for murder there matches up with the reasoning here.
4.  Yes "A FEW" people die from cancer each year, but aren't those numbers forgivable?
5.  My doctor (and most other doctors) treat cancer victims with medicine that is specifically designed for people with cancer, and is therefore healthy.  Also, if rich people with lots of food and the bubonic plague (black plague) came to my town for food, then the food they were buying would be made specially for eating, and therefore healthy, making the world a better place.

#43 2012-10-07 18:16:02

maxskywalker
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

well, i am telling the truth and i just hope some people believe me...  but i try to find "proper" sources so be patient.

And Adolf Hitler was telling 'the truth' when he said that the world would be better with billions of murders.

#44 2012-10-07 18:21:50

jukyter
Scratcher

I don't think this is comparable to Hitler

#45 2012-10-07 18:26:18

transparent
Scratcher

At all.

yes, yes i do.

#46 2012-10-07 18:30:26

maxskywalker
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

I don't think this is comparable to Hitler

Sorry, I was just trying to point out some the logical fallacies in the argument, and Hitler was the first person who came to my mind that everybody hates.  If you could come up with someone else, I would be very grateful.

Last edited by maxskywalker (2012-10-07 18:53:01)

#47 2012-10-07 19:26:32

luiysia
Scratcher

Actually I don't think that really compares at all. People don't hate people who feed pigeons, it's just bad in general.

#48 2012-10-08 06:44:14

9star
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

Actually I don't think that really compares at all. People don't hate people who feed pigeons, it's just bad in general.

i don't think it is bad. and i'm feeding them later today. (the place where i feed them is next to the town center on a small grassy area with a few trees and a church. it has no fences and there are loads of pigeons.)

#49 2012-10-20 06:18:59

9star
Scratcher

777w wrote:

here are the reasons in case anybody was too lazy to look at them themselves

Every year we receives a large number of complaints from members of the public regarding problems caused by pigeons.

Clearing up pigeon droppings can be very expensive. Droppings can also damage property, block gutters and make pavements slippery. Pigeons can carry diseases, which puts our health and our children’s health at risk.

They cause problems with insect pests and food put out for pigeons can attract vermin such as rats and mice.

Pigeons are wildlife. They are not domesticated and they are not dependant on us to feed them.

each of these reasons is perfectly valid

[in britain] there are high levels of unemployment. cleaning up pigeon poop is a job, so itn't that a good thing?. here a source that pigeons pose a low health risk  however a little girl caught BUBONIC PLAGUE from a squirrel                                                          

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST SQUIRRELS but this is simply proof that squirrels are more "dangerous" that pigeons. and pigeons cannot carry fleas so you cannot catch the bubonic plague off them!!! . smile

Last edited by 9star (2012-10-20 14:09:24)

#50 2012-10-20 18:43:49

luiysia
Scratcher

So what you're saying is that intentionally spreading around bird poop (which does carry many, many diseases) will be good for towns? That's like saying littering in cities is OK - it'll open up more job spaces! Just because it kills plants (bird droppings are bad for plants because of the uric acid and pigeons are no exception) and makes the city disgusting (it's poop, you see) isn't a reason not to feed feral animals that are capable of getting their own food!

Board footer