This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#276 2013-02-13 14:07:48

fireheartocean
Scratcher

Re: bird-feeding discrimination

I believe that humans were meant to eat a balanced, omnivorous diet. I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians (my brother is one), I just choose to believe that a diet of meat and vegetables is the best and healthiest kind.
Anyways, back on topic- I have nothing against pigeons. And soupoftomato probably didn't mean you specifically, but all the other pigeon-feeders as well. I mean, it's bad for pigeons to eat junk food that some people feed them. Some things that more unthoughtful people might toss to them could hurt them or make them sick.

**May StarClan light your path**

#277 2013-02-13 14:36:57

9star
Scratcher

fireheartocean wrote:

I believe that humans were meant to eat a balanced, omnivorous diet. I have nothing against vegans or vegetarians (my brother is one), I just choose to believe that a diet of meat and vegetables is the best and healthiest kind.
Anyways, back on topic- I have nothing against pigeons. And soupoftomato probably didn't mean you specifically, but all the other pigeon-feeders as well. I mean, it's bad for pigeons to eat junk food that some people feed them. Some things that more unthoughtful people might toss to them could hurt them or make them sick.

you see, i always feed the pigeons bird food from the pet shop.

I weigh less than a slice of Cheese

#278 2013-02-13 14:42:53

9star
Scratcher

nama wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eater? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]
i've been feeding pigeons AND been vegatairian since i was six,
and i went vegan when i was 8, i'm staying that way.  you can't say what i'll be like when i'm older.

"anti-homeopathy" and "meat-eater" are adjectives with positive connotations to your opposition so the emotional appeal there isn't really working.

it used to say "pigeon hating anti homeopathy meat eating idiot"

i typed it without thinking so i changed because i thought it could be offensive

#279 2013-02-13 17:02:07

ImagineIt
Scratcher

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eater? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]
and i went vegan when i was 8, i'm staying that way.  you can't say what i'll be like when i'm older.

"anti-homeopathy" and "meat-eater" are adjectives with positive connotations to your opposition so the emotional appeal there isn't really working.

And we don't hate pigeons. If anything, we like them more than you because we want to make sure you don't hurt them by feeding them.

feeding pigeons does not hurt them, you seriously think that?.  a pigeon won't forget how to find food, they're smart!  and by the way you've acted i really can't believe you like pigeons more than me.

Pigeons do forget how to hunt after being fed for a long period of time. Think about it. We have job specialization because we know we can get food even if we can't farm or hunt or anything.

Last edited by ImagineIt (2013-02-13 17:04:10)

#280 2013-02-13 18:48:40

maxskywalker
Scratcher

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

And we don't hate pigeons. If anything, we like them more than you because we want to make sure you don't hurt them by feeding them.

feeding pigeons does not hurt them, you seriously think that?.  a pigeon won't forget how to find food, they're smart!  and by the way you've acted i really can't believe you like pigeons more than me.

No, they're not smart.  They thrive on instinct.  Feeding them is destroying their instincts to find food, and creating instincts to come to people and starve to death if they don't get food.

#281 2013-02-14 06:12:28

9star
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

No, they're not smart.  They thrive on instinct.  Feeding them is destroying their instincts to find food, and creating instincts to come to people and starve to death if they don't get food.

actually, beacause pigeons forage; they find food as they're wandering around on the ground. like that, they can't not find food. and i've posted lots of viable sources before and you've ignored them.
source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4

see? you can't deny that Pigeons ARE smart.

#282 2013-02-14 16:18:09

luiysia
Scratcher

9star wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Also, what makes it ok that other animals can eat meat while we can't? Yeah, they're built to eat meat only, but it's still killing other animals as you say. And why don't you kill weeds when you eat other plants? They're all plants.

i don't kill weeds becuase they're not edible.

a lot of weeds are edible!

I've eaten cattail (though it's not really a weed unless you live in a marsh or something) and it tastes a lot like cucumber, though it has the texture of a raw green onion. Purslane, which my mom put into soups and stuff for a while until everyone got kind of sick of it, is REALLY slimy and the taste is hard to describe - both are definitely acquired tastes. However, it's an interesting way to find new, free food  smile

Also: if you find some red berries growing on a plant that looks like blackberry, if they're ripe, then it's probably wineberry, which is closely related. You can eat those too, though since they usually grow in the wild, check for pesticide spraying and stuff, just like with any other wild plants.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#283 2013-02-15 06:19:46

9star
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

9star wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Also, what makes it ok that other animals can eat meat while we can't? Yeah, they're built to eat meat only, but it's still killing other animals as you say. And why don't you kill weeds when you eat other plants? They're all plants.

i don't kill weeds becuase they're not edible.

a lot of weeds are edible!

I've eaten cattail (though it's not really a weed unless you live in a marsh or something) and it tastes a lot like cucumber, though it has the texture of a raw green onion. Purslane, which my mom put into soups and stuff for a while until everyone got kind of sick of it, is REALLY slimy and the taste is hard to describe - both are definitely acquired tastes. However, it's an interesting way to find new, free food  smile

Also: if you find some red berries growing on a plant that looks like blackberry, if they're ripe, then it's probably wineberry, which is closely related. You can eat those too, though since they usually grow in the wild, check for pesticide spraying and stuff, just like with any other wild plants.

oh. i forgot about that. my mum cooked nettle soup once and also made blackberry crumble out of blackberries too!

#284 2013-04-08 15:47:47

NoxSpooth
Scratcher

Necrobump. Keep this discussion alive.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg572/BLU_Spy/Best-Cry-Ever_zps3b2b857a.gif Goodbye, 1.4... We'll miss you...

#285 2013-04-08 15:55:03

Sellout
Scratcher

I've never seen signs encouraging anyone to feed any birds, pigeons, songbirds, or otherwise. I don't understand why pigeons wouldn't be considered pests though, they're practically rats with wings

I would rather be alone than pretend I feel alright

#286 2013-04-08 16:04:55

ImagineIt
Scratcher

I think this needs to be closed actually.  hmm  It had too many flame wars in it I think.

Board footer