This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#251 2013-02-12 06:00:19

9star
Scratcher

Re: bird-feeding discrimination

luiysia wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

gorrillas have HUGE teeth. oh, and what are they for?, fighting!

I don't know if you've noticed, but human canines aren't in an ideal place or size for fighting.  Especially against predators.

OK, the canine teeth argument is probably one of the WORST arguments against vegetarian/veganism (for the record, I am neither of those and don't really support vegans at all).

Look inside your mouth. Look at your canine teeth. They look really small, right? And they're not very pointy at all. Nor do they stand out from your other teeth a whole lot - they're just a little bit pointed. Then, look at something that is undebatably an omnivore - like a bear or a raccoon. You'll notice that while people have those puny things, raccoons and bears basically have fangs.

Also, humans are pretty clearly not natural hunters. You can barely kill anything with your bare hands outside of using strangulation (and most mammals do this with their jaw, which, you may notice, in your case is very weak, with 120 pounds of force as opposed  to even a dog's, which is 320, also most mammals could probably just bite through your fingers). Nearly all predators that do have paws (well, hands) have very sharp claws and you may notice that your own nails are easily broken and not sharp at all. Humans move very slowly compared to hunters like bears (you may notice that pretty much all people need tools to hunt - even native tribes and such use spears or arrows or darts), and lack the strength to make up for it. It's pretty obvious that people were not made to hunt by their own hand.

Also, your own post basically refutes the point you made yourself. Isn't hunting a lot like fighting? If you can't even fight with your teeth, then why would you be able to hunt with them?

(by the way: gorillas don't fight with their teeth. they are mostly used for eating tough fruit and showing off, they didn't get bred out through evolution because the disadvantages offered by them are too slight to really reduce a gorilla's chance of survival/reproduction and they do help a bit)

yup.

I weigh less than a slice of Cheese

#252 2013-02-12 06:10:43

9star
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

Also, what makes it ok that other animals can eat meat while we can't? Yeah, they're built to eat meat only, but it's still killing other animals as you say. And why don't you kill weeds when you eat other plants? They're all plants.

i don't kill weeds becuase they're not edible. and me eating vegetables is okay because that is what humans are meant to eat. a tiger's not bad because it eats antelope, its MEANT to eat it.

#253 2013-02-12 07:15:35

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

Also, what makes it ok that other animals can eat meat while we can't? Yeah, they're built to eat meat only, but it's still killing other animals as you say. And why don't you kill weeds when you eat other plants? They're all plants.

i don't kill weeds becuase they're not edible. and me eating vegetables is okay because that is what humans are meant to eat. a tiger's not bad because it eats antelope, its MEANT to eat it.

you seem to have missed my post
we eat what we need to survive, and ancient men needed meat to survive
they ate meat, and it became natural to do so
the way our bodies are constructed doesnt matter, we may not be physically built to eat meat but behaviorally we do

Last edited by 777w (2013-02-12 07:19:48)

#254 2013-02-12 08:13:11

calebxy
Scratcher

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

the way our bodies are constructed doesnt matter, we may not be physically built to eat meat but behaviorally we do

[sarcasm]Yes, clearly people can't survive without eating meat.[/sarcasm]

Did you even read the sources 9star linked to?

"Currently, there are two main types of diets—animal based and vegetarian. When we look at the hard numbers of these diets, the consensus is clear as to which one is better for our health. I could go on and on with statistics, and I will mention a few, but if you are truly interested, I encourage you to search the internet, read the china study, or talk with a dietitian-- they will all confirm that there is a strong link between the consumption of meat and diseases.

As mentioned above, I will cover one or two studies just to put everything into perspective. The first covers heart disease. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in America according to the American Heart Association. One study found that people who eat meat have a 50% higher risk of developing heart disease compared to vegetarians.[i] Next, cancer rates, found in numerous studies, are also affected by the consumption of meat. One 11-year-long German study (with 800 vegetarian men), found their cancer rates were less than half those of the general public. Another study shows vegetarians having 40% the cancer rates of meat-eaters.[ii] And just to bring everything together, according to the American Dietetic Association, vegetarians have “lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease; … lower blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, and lower rates of hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.[iii]”"

And if you want to disagree, I think we would all appreciate it if you put in the effort to actually back up your claims. You may think the source is biased, but in my experience, only people with no counter argument resort to claiming that and not explaining why they're wrong.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-12 08:17:35)

I'm making my own Doctor Who series!  big_smile  See the first episode here.
And please join Story Zone!  big_smile

#255 2013-02-12 09:03:38

ImagineIt
Scratcher

9star wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

It's still killing though. Just because they're meant to eat it doesn't mean that it's not killing. Anyways, I'm not going to quit on meat, and you can't make me. You're not going to quit being vegan, and I can't make you.

#256 2013-02-12 10:12:27

calebxy
Scratcher

*looks at thread title*

Anyway, we're now severely off topic.

#257 2013-02-12 13:37:41

9star
Scratcher

ImagineIt wrote:

9star wrote:

ImagineIt wrote:

It's still killing though. Just because they're meant to eat it doesn't mean that it's not killing. Anyways, I'm not going to quit on meat, and you can't make me. You're not going to quit being vegan, and I can't make you.

it is still killing. but i already said, a lion is MEANT to eat antelope.

#258 2013-02-12 15:44:21

luiysia
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

*looks at thread title*

i feed white pigeons more than black pigeons
is that better

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#259 2013-02-12 16:04:01

777w
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

ancient men

also, no, i dont have sources to back up my claims, and im sorry, but i personally believe at least half the sources 9star cited were biased and you dont have to agree
im basing my ideas on what i think to be logical. if we werent built to eat meat then why on earth do do we do it if not because of the activities of people in prehistoric time?

Last edited by 777w (2013-02-12 16:09:35)

#260 2013-02-12 16:18:55

calebxy
Scratcher

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

777w wrote:

ancient men

also, no, i dont have sources to back up my claims, and im sorry, but i personally believe at least half the sources 9star cited were biased and you dont have to agree
im basing my ideas on what i think to be logical. if we werent built to eat meat then why on earth do do we do it if not because of the activities of people in prehistoric time?

Well we'll have to just agree to disagree here, because I believe in what the Bible says (I strongly presume you don't), so I believe we eat meat because God permitted us to after the flood. But again, we can't turn this into a religious discussion, so perhaps we should just end this train of thought right here (and maybe even get back on topic).

#261 2013-02-12 16:20:54

zubblewu
Scratcher

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

777w wrote:

ancient men

I'm pretty sure PETA has been confirmed biased

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#262 2013-02-12 16:25:29

luiysia
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

calebxy wrote:

*looks at thread title*

i feed white pigeons more than black pigeons
is that better

let's get back on topic here

Last edited by luiysia (2013-02-12 16:25:35)

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#263 2013-02-12 16:26:32

calebxy
Scratcher

zubblewu wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

ancient men

Again, saying that means absolutely nothing unless you can actually prove that the facts it uses or conclusions it draws are somehow incorrect or illogical.

#264 2013-02-12 16:28:23

777w
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

zubblewu wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

Again, saying that means absolutely nothing unless you can actually prove that the facts it uses or conclusions it draws are somehow incorrect or illogical.

just because your facts are logical doesnt mean youre not biased

#265 2013-02-12 16:29:02

zubblewu
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

zubblewu wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

they made this

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

#266 2013-02-12 16:32:02

calebxy
Scratcher

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

zubblewu wrote:

And just because you're biased doesn't mean you're wrong. Facts are facts, regardless of what someone would prefer them to say.

#267 2013-02-12 16:38:27

777w
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

And just because you're biased doesn't mean you're wrong. Facts are facts, regardless of what someone would prefer them to say.

bias can influence your judgement though and keep you from listening to arguments presented by the other side fairly

#268 2013-02-12 16:41:29

calebxy
Scratcher

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

bias can influence your judgement though and keep you from listening to arguments presented by the other side fairly

Could do, yes, but it doesn't mean that it does. Did you even read all those sources 9star linked to? The fourth one, particularly. It addresses the counterarguments, and regardless of whether you think he's biased, he does so in a very satisfactory way. How about you personally read it and point out where you think it's wrong.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-12 16:41:59)

#269 2013-02-12 16:44:25

calebxy
Scratcher

Or we could just agree to disagree, if you would prefer.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-12 16:44:50)

#270 2013-02-12 16:46:00

zubblewu
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

Could do, yes, but it doesn't mean that it does. Did you even read all those sources 9star linked to? The fourth one, particularly. It addresses the counterarguments, and regardless of whether you think he's biased, he does so in a very satisfactory way. How about you personally read it and point out where you think it's wrong.

he never said it's wrong. he said that humans have a tendency to eat meat because we have for a very long time

#271 2013-02-12 16:46:59

777w
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

calebxy wrote:

i dont think its wrong, i think its irrelevant to what im saying
we are behaviorally adapted to eat meat, and the fourth article even says why;

early humans, like modern humans, could have simply acted outside of instinct, and made interesting dietary choices contrary to their anatomy

that doesnt mean its right, that doesnt mean its the best, that means we do it and its perfectly natural

#272 2013-02-12 16:47:58

calebxy
Scratcher

zubblewu wrote:

calebxy wrote:

777w wrote:

he never said it's wrong. he said that humans have a tendency to eat meat because we have for a very long time

Oh ok. Well that solves this.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-12 16:48:24)

#273 2013-02-12 19:11:53

soupoftomato
Scratcher

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

i'm 10 but eleven in march.

Wait a few years and you might laugh at what you're saying on this topic.

Anyway, homeopathy has been proven a hoax repeatedly.

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eater? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]
i've been feeding pigeons AND been vegatairian since i was six,
and i went vegan when i was 8, i'm staying that way.  you can't say what i'll be like when i'm older.

"anti-homeopathy" and "meat-eater" are adjectives with positive connotations to your opposition so the emotional appeal there isn't really working.

And we don't hate pigeons. If anything, we like them more than you because we want to make sure you don't hurt them by feeding them.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#274 2013-02-13 09:31:14

9star
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eater? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]
and i went vegan when i was 8, i'm staying that way.  you can't say what i'll be like when i'm older.

"anti-homeopathy" and "meat-eater" are adjectives with positive connotations to your opposition so the emotional appeal there isn't really working.

And we don't hate pigeons. If anything, we like them more than you because we want to make sure you don't hurt them by feeding them.

feeding pigeons does not hurt them, you seriously think that?.  a pigeon won't forget how to find food, they're smart!  and by the way you've acted i really can't believe you like pigeons more than me.

Last edited by 9star (2013-02-13 09:32:43)

#275 2013-02-13 09:52:44

nama
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

it used to say "pigeon hating anti homeopathy meat eating idiot"

You say goodbye to 1.4, I say hello to 2.0.

Board footer