This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#226 2013-02-10 08:07:27

calebxy
Scratcher

Re: bird-feeding discrimination

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

So, would you rather test unsafe but potentially life-saving medicine on a human, or an animal?

There is just no viable alternative.

homeopathic remedies.

wikipedia's not the best source but the article on homeopathy says "Scientific research has found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible"

So any help they do give would be simply a placebo.

I'm making my own Doctor Who series!  big_smile  See the first episode here.
And please join Story Zone!  big_smile

#227 2013-02-10 09:07:06

9star
Scratcher

TheCatAndTheBanana wrote:

9star wrote:

koilmasta wrote:

Artlady's view on animal testing is "better them than us". My view is plain and simple: Humans are smarter. Same reason why we eat barnyard animals (pigs, cows, etc.), but not dogs/cats. (also because we domesticated barnyard animals for mainly food so...)

this is the discrimination i'm talking about, like "feed songbirds, but not pigeons" and "it's okay to eat pig but not dog." i am NOT saying we should eat dogs, i'm saying we shouldn't eat ANY animal.

If we wern't supposed to eat animals, we wouldn't have our canine teeth. Humans evolved to eat BOTH fruits and meats.

gorrillas have HUGE teeth. oh, and what are they for?, fighting!

I weigh less than a slice of Cheese

#228 2013-02-10 09:08:44

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

9star wrote:

this is the discrimination i'm talking about, like "feed songbirds, but not pigeons" and "it's okay to eat pig but not dog." i am NOT saying we should eat dogs, i'm saying we shouldn't eat ANY animal.

If we wern't supposed to eat animals, we wouldn't have our canine teeth. Humans evolved to eat BOTH fruits and meats.

eating meat is still perfectly natural, prehistoric people ate meat to get extra protein that plants couldnt provide

#229 2013-02-10 09:09:00

9star
Scratcher

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

wikipedia's not the best source but the article on homeopathy says "Scientific research has found homeopathic remedies ineffective and their postulated mechanisms of action implausible"

well, they worked really well for me. scientists say that but they do work really, scientists just HATE admitting they're wrong.

what are you talking about
nobody likes to admit theyre wrong but scientists have the data to show when theyre right
frankly the whole thing sounds rather dangerous to me i mean

Homeopathy... is a system of alternative medicine originated in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of similia similibus curentur ("like cures like"), according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people.

using the substance that makes you sick to cure you will, by logic, just make you sicker!
the only time that really works that i know of is when you treat cancer with radiation, but even then that just kills cancerous cells and, from what i hear, leaves you very weak

what about vaccines then? they use the thing they're protecting you from.

#230 2013-02-10 09:12:38

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

well, they worked really well for me. scientists say that but they do work really, scientists just HATE admitting they're wrong.

what are you talking about
nobody likes to admit theyre wrong but scientists have the data to show when theyre right
frankly the whole thing sounds rather dangerous to me i mean

Homeopathy... is a system of alternative medicine originated in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, based on his doctrine of similia similibus curentur ("like cures like"), according to which a substance that causes the symptoms of a disease in healthy people will cure similar symptoms in sick people.

using the substance that makes you sick to cure you will, by logic, just make you sicker!
the only time that really works that i know of is when you treat cancer with radiation, but even then that just kills cancerous cells and, from what i hear, leaves you very weak

what about vaccines then? they use the thing they're protecting you from.

A vaccine is a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease. A vaccine typically contains an agent that resembles a disease-causing microorganism, and is often made from weakened or killed forms of the microbe, its toxins or one of its surface proteins. The agent stimulates the body's immune system to recognize the agent as foreign, destroy it, and "remember" it, so that the immune system can more easily recognize and destroy any of these microorganisms that it later encounters.

the point of vaccines is to make sure your immune system recognizes the disease and can better fight against it, once you actually catch the disease fully your immune system knows it but cant fight against it without proper help, adding more of the disease causing materials will only make you worse

#231 2013-02-10 09:55:18

calebxy
Scratcher

9star, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

#232 2013-02-10 14:20:31

9star
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

i'm 10 but eleven in march.

#233 2013-02-10 14:22:31

9star
Scratcher

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

eating meat is still perfectly natural, prehistoric people ate meat to get extra protein that plants couldnt provide

yes, but nuts, beans, chickpeas and other plants provide protien and now we can also take vegatarian protien-providing vitamins.

#234 2013-02-10 15:47:09

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

yes, but nuts, beans, chickpeas and other plants provide protien and now we can also take vegatarian protien-providing vitamins.

nevertheless, humans evolved to eat meat which makes the tendency to do so perfectly natural

#235 2013-02-10 16:16:37

soupoftomato
Scratcher

9star wrote:

calebxy wrote:

Wait a few years and you might laugh at what you're saying on this topic.

Anyway, homeopathy has been proven a hoax repeatedly.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#236 2013-02-11 05:51:06

9star
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

calebxy wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eater? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]
i've been feeding pigeons AND been vegatairian since i was six,
and i went vegan when i was 8, i'm staying that way.  you can't say what i'll be like when i'm older.

Last edited by 9star (2013-02-12 06:05:13)

#237 2013-02-11 07:14:52

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eating-idiot?

no i think hes saying youll look back and say "wow i did not construct my argument properly"

#238 2013-02-11 09:58:41

9star
Scratcher

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

nevertheless, humans evolved to eat meat which makes the tendency to do so perfectly natural

No it's not. we are not meant to eat meat. please read these:
Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

#239 2013-02-11 10:28:32

calebxy
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

I must say, that 4th link is extremely brilliant.

#240 2013-02-11 10:31:30

mythbusteranimator
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

I must say, that 4th link is extremely brilliant.

sorry, but if i don't eat my meat, i will go crazy.  tongue

http://www.foxtrot.com/comics/2012-04-01-fdb37077.gif
clicky

#241 2013-02-11 10:59:00

jukyter
Scratcher

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eating-idiot? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]

a) that isnt sarcasm
b) are you calling everyone arguing against you idiots? nice debating skills you have there
but if you ever get a serious condition you may well side more towards the modern medicine side of things

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#242 2013-02-11 12:54:58

maxskywalker
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

Also:

Herbivores: Do not intentionally make vegetable farms
Humans: Make farms

Herbivores: Natural defenses against predators
Humans: No built-in natural defenses

Humans aren't exactly good at being animals; the only way we have survived is through our intelligence.  I would like to point out that carnivores are not able to digest plants[/i], and vice versa (as in herbivores cannot digest meat, not plants can't digest carnivores- which is true anyway, I suppose  tongue ).  Humans are omnivores.  There's nothing unnatural about us eating meat.  Also, can you provide any less biased sources (ie. not animal rights websites or vegetarian blogs, etc.)?

9star wrote:

9star wrote:

I don't know if you've noticed, but human canines aren't in an ideal place or size for fighting.  Especially against predators.

Last edited by maxskywalker (2013-02-11 12:58:31)

#243 2013-02-11 13:14:59

calebxy
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

Also:

Humans aren't exactly good at being animals; the only way we have survived is through our intelligence.  I would like to point out that carnivores are not able to digest plants[/i], and vice versa (as in herbivores cannot digest meat, not plants can't digest carnivores- which is true anyway, I suppose  tongue ).  Humans are omnivores.  There's nothing unnatural about us eating meat.  Also, can you provide any less biased sources (ie. not animal rights websites or vegetarian blogs, etc.)?

You haven't refuted the arguments at all. We make farms because we can. We are just as capable of evading predators as an absurd amount of herbivores on this planet.

You may think the sources are biased (I can only presume it's because you disagree with the conclusions), but that doesn't mean the considerable amount of facts presented are wrong. Because they are facts.

#244 2013-02-11 14:38:09

maxskywalker
Scratcher

calebxy wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

Also:

You haven't refuted the arguments at all. We make farms because we can. We are just as capable of evading predators as an absurd amount of herbivores on this planet.

You may think the sources are biased (I can only presume it's because you disagree with the conclusions), but that doesn't mean the considerable amount of facts presented are wrong. Because they are facts.

Fair enough.  I'm bad at talking.  Or you know, writing.  I'm going to duck out of here while I un-awkwardize myself.

#245 2013-02-11 14:56:22

calebxy
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

calebxy wrote:

maxskywalker wrote:

Also:

Fair enough.  I'm bad at talking.  Or you know, writing.  I'm going to duck out of here while I un-awkwardize myself.

Lol, ok.  tongue  And sorry if I sounded offensive.

Last edited by calebxy (2013-02-11 15:02:32)

#246 2013-02-11 15:38:13

luiysia
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

9star wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

are you saying that when i'm older i'll be a Pigeon-hating-anti-homeopathy-meat-eating-idiot? [sarcasm]fat chance![/sarcasm]

a) that isnt sarcasm
b) are you calling everyone arguing against you idiots? nice debating skills you have there
but if you ever get a serious condition you may well side more towards the modern medicine side of things

actually, the phrase "fat chance" is a prime example of sarcasm or verbal irony - when one says one thing but means another. "fat chance," used literally, would be a large (fat) probability (chance) of something happening. in this case, 9star used the phrase sarcastically, meaning that there was little or no chance of such a thing happening. (although I will say that the sarcasm tags aren't necessary because the phrase "fat chance" is generally only used sarcastically.)

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#247 2013-02-11 16:43:32

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

777w wrote:

9star wrote:

Source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4
ha ha ha.

at least two of those are biased and im not talking about physical features, im talking about nutritional needs. ancient people needed protein, and meat is high in protein. cavemen ate meat and over time eating meat became a perfectly natural thing to do. sure, we may have originally evolved as a herbivorous species, but as soon as we killing and eating animals to survive our physical makeup became irrelevant. also, ending a post with "ha ha ha" makes your opposition seem like the sensible one ;)

#248 2013-02-11 16:54:51

jukyter
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

jukyter wrote:

9star wrote:

a) that isnt sarcasm

actually, the phrase "fat chance" is a prime example of sarcasm or verbal irony - when one says one thing but means another. "fat chance," used literally, would be a large (fat) probability (chance) of something happening. in this case, 9star used the phrase sarcastically, meaning that there was little or no chance of such a thing happening. (although I will say that the sarcasm tags aren't necessary because the phrase "fat chance" is generally only used sarcastically.)

hm i guess
i just associate fat chance with no chance of something happening so a sarcastic fat chance would mean it literally i guess
but yeah i was wrong there

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#249 2013-02-11 17:09:47

luiysia
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

I don't know if you've noticed, but human canines aren't in an ideal place or size for fighting.  Especially against predators.

OK, the canine teeth argument is probably one of the WORST arguments against vegetarian/veganism (for the record, I am neither of those and don't really support vegans at all).

Look inside your mouth. Look at your canine teeth. They look really small, right? And they're not very pointy at all. Nor do they stand out from your other teeth a whole lot - they're just a little bit pointed. Then, look at something that is undebatably an omnivore - like a bear or a raccoon. You'll notice that while people have those puny things, raccoons and bears basically have fangs.

Also, humans are pretty clearly not natural hunters. You can barely kill anything with your bare hands outside of using strangulation (and most mammals do this with their jaw, which, you may notice, in your case is very weak, with 120 pounds of force as opposed  to even a dog's, which is 320, also most mammals could probably just bite through your fingers). Nearly all predators that do have paws (well, hands) have very sharp claws and you may notice that your own nails are easily broken and not sharp at all. Humans move very slowly compared to hunters like bears (you may notice that pretty much all people need tools to hunt - even native tribes and such use spears or arrows or darts), and lack the strength to make up for it. It's pretty obvious that people were not made to hunt by their own hand.

Also, your own post basically refutes the point you made yourself. Isn't hunting a lot like fighting? If you can't even fight with your teeth, then why would you be able to hunt with them?

(by the way: gorillas don't fight with their teeth. they are mostly used for eating tough fruit and showing off, they didn't get bred out through evolution because the disadvantages offered by them are too slight to really reduce a gorilla's chance of survival/reproduction and they do help a bit)

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#250 2013-02-11 17:09:50

ImagineIt
Scratcher

Also, what makes it ok that other animals can eat meat while we can't? Yeah, they're built to eat meat only, but it's still killing other animals as you say. And why don't you kill weeds when you eat other plants? They're all plants.

Board footer