This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-10-03 16:11:19

9star
Scratcher

bird-feeding discrimination

hi! i was looking on a council website about pigeons to see how stupid their reasons were about why not to feed pigeons. this is the stupedist. it is discrimination.

"Pigeons are wildlife. They are not domesticated and they are not dependant on us to feed them."

yes. pigeons are wildlife BUT......                                                                                     but what about ducks, songbirds ect. they are wildife to! we are encouraged to feed them. but yet not pigeons.   THIS IS MEAN PEOPLE!
a source that pigeons are not disease carrying birds or another source that pigeons pose a low health risk  but a
little girl caught BUBONIC PLAGUE from a squirrel
I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST SQUIRRELS but this is simply proof that squirrels are more dangerous that pigeons. and pigeons cannot carry fleas so you cannot catch the bubonic plague off them!!! . smile and oh i almost forgot,
pigeons are not pests!!!

http://i.imgur.com/XX8gx.gif

Last edited by 9star (2013-01-15 09:22:39)

I weigh less than a slice of Cheese

#2 2012-10-03 16:24:07

777w
Scratcher

Re: bird-feeding discrimination

maybe they dont encourage feeding ducks and such either
also if you care about "discrimination" against pigeons then you may as well say the same for weeds which, despite their harmlessness, people are intent on destroying

okay so i found the notice here and their reasoning seems pretty valid

Last edited by 777w (2012-10-03 16:28:32)

#3 2012-10-03 16:54:32

luiysia
Scratcher

Pigeons are pests and their droppings are slippery and corrode cars and stuff (sort of, if you leave it there) because of the uric acid in it, plus it contains disease as poop is wont to do. While ducks and songbirds can also be fed they do not congregate in huge flocks and are less common in cities (compare the amount of times you've seen flocks of songbirds pooping on cars and then compare them to the amount of times you've seen pigeons doing it). Also, some songbirds are bad too, like house sparrows and starlings, who replace the birds that were already there and mess up the ecosystem (which is partly why bluebirds are rarer now).

I read a lot about this kind of stuff.

edit: wow, that's a lot of parentheses

Last edited by luiysia (2012-10-03 16:55:41)

http://i50.tinypic.com/dx00pd.gif

#4 2012-10-04 10:54:01

9star
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

Pigeons are pests and their droppings are slippery and corrode cars and stuff (sort of, if you leave it there) because of the uric acid in it, plus it contains disease as poop is wont to do. While ducks and songbirds can also be fed they do not congregate in huge flocks and are less common in cities (compare the amount of times you've seen flocks of songbirds pooping on cars and then compare them to the amount of times you've seen pigeons doing it). Also, some songbirds are bad too, like house sparrows and starlings, who replace the birds that were already there and mess up the ecosystem (which is partly why bluebirds are rarer now).

they aren't pests. the pigeons can't just go into a public loo. people would probably moan if they did. and there is a lake near me with, like 60 ducks and no-one moans! and i'v been feeding the pigeon since i was like, five. and i havent  caught a single disease from them. but once i hand-fed a squirrel and i got salmonella really bad. and people should stop being so obsessed with their stupid cars.

#5 2012-10-04 11:50:35

jukyter
Scratcher

No animal (with the exception of guide dogs) would be allowed in a public loo
Are you suggesting we should kill ducks for living in their natural habitat?
Plus no one mentioned squirrels

cause a bird and a fish could fall in love/but where would they live?

#6 2012-10-04 15:08:15

ProgrammingPro01
Scratcher

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

they aren't pests. the pigeons can't just go into a public loo. people would probably moan if they did. and there is a lake near me with, like 60 ducks and no-one moans! and i'v been feeding the pigeon since i was like, five. and i havent  caught a single disease from them. but once i hand-fed a squirrel and i got salmonella really bad. and people should stop being so obsessed with their stupid cars.

People don't want bird poop all over their cars, that does not mean they're obsessed with their cars. It's just plain gross.  hmm

Bye 1.4!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sobbing.gifhttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbfh6bIamQ1qky11ho1_500.png

#7 2012-10-04 16:44:39

777w
Scratcher

here are the reasons in case anybody was too lazy to look at them themselves

Every year we receives a large number of complaints from members of the public regarding problems caused by pigeons.

Clearing up pigeon droppings can be very expensive. Droppings can also damage property, block gutters and make pavements slippery. Pigeons can carry diseases, which puts our health and our children’s health at risk.

They cause problems with insect pests and food put out for pigeons can attract vermin such as rats and mice.

Pigeons are wildlife. They are not domesticated and they are not dependant on us to feed them.

each of these reasons is perfectly valid

#8 2012-10-04 16:54:55

luiysia
Scratcher

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Just because they can't go into a public bathroom doesn't mean they aren't pests, I don't know where you got that idea.

Ducks live in their natural habitat. All or most of the ducks you see are probably native (though Canada geese are actually a native pest that multiplied too much and their collected droppings can spread diseases in water to other birds, so it's probably not a brilliant idea to feed those). The droppings corrode building materials as well and they can make surfaces slippery or just coated in dried bird poop, plus they can kill vegetation if there's too much. The poop can and has washed into water supplies and infected it with E. coli. (in Belchertown, MA 1999).

While it's fun to feed the pigeons and you might see it as a kindness, they can get their own food and feeding them only increases their dependency on handouts and attracts even more pigeons.

Here are some sources.

#9 2012-10-05 05:22:02

9star
Scratcher

jukyter wrote:

No animal (with the exception of guide dogs) would be allowed in a public loo
Are you suggesting we should kill ducks for living in their natural habitat?
Plus no one mentioned squirrels

no i'm not! i love all animals.(and i don't kill weeds) i'm just saying that people should include pigeons in bird feeding. i have nothing against ducks. and i really love them 'cos i don't EAT them.

#10 2012-10-05 05:27:29

9star
Scratcher

ProgrammingPro01 wrote:

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

People don't want bird poop all over their cars, that does not mean they're obsessed with their cars. It's just plain gross.  hmm

why doesn't someone make paint that the poop doesn't damage then?

#11 2012-10-05 05:51:56

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

We recently had a similar case in Rockland with a woman that was feeding the seagulls.  She enjoyed doing it and the birds enjoyed eating but her neighbors didn't like the extra bird poop that the gulls produced.  The town eventually passed a law to make her stop.  So it's not just pigeons.  I've seen similar issues with ducks, geese, swans and even chickens (they run free in the San Diego Zoo). 

Here's one solution that they tried in Homer, Alaska:  A designated eagle feeding area!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=CYOyTEHcYQA

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#12 2012-10-05 11:48:51

luiysia
Scratcher

9star wrote:

ProgrammingPro01 wrote:

9star wrote:

why doesn't someone make paint that the poop doesn't damage then?

Actually, I take back what I said earlier about the uric acid in droppings damaging the cars. Apparently, it's because in heat, paint lacquer softens and when it gets poop on it (acidic or not) and it molds to the texture of the poop, leaving a gross indent. Nissan is making a paint that will be able to self-repair (though not expressly for bird poop) and that could help but they would have to completely reformulate the paint they use on cars just so people could go on uselessly feeding the pigeons.

9star wrote:

no i'm not! i love all animals.(and i don't kill weeds) i'm just saying that people should include pigeons in bird feeding. i have nothing against ducks. and i really love them 'cos i don't EAT them.

Not eating something doesn't make you love it more and a ton of people already feed pigeons - otherwise there wouldn't be a problem with it.

#13 2012-10-05 14:18:10

9star
Scratcher

luiysia wrote:

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Just because they can't go into a public bathroom doesn't mean they aren't pests, I don't know where you got that idea.

Ducks live in their natural habitat. All or most of the ducks you see are probably native (though Canada geese are actually a native pest that multiplied too much and their collected droppings can spread diseases in water to other birds, so it's probably not a brilliant idea to feed those). The droppings corrode building materials as well and they can make surfaces slippery or just coated in dried bird poop, plus they can kill vegetation if there's too much. The poop can and has washed into water supplies and infected it with E. coli. (in Belchertown, MA 1999).

While it's fun to feed the pigeons and you might see it as a kindness, they can get their own food and feeding them only increases their dependency on handouts and attracts even more pigeons.

Here are some sources.

i will continue feeding them. they ARE NOT PESTS. we share our towns/cities/parks with them. they can't help "being a problem" (which i don't believe they do). and i never said that because they can't go in a public toilet doesn't make them pests! what i mean was tat they can't help pooing on things. and the reasons on the webpages you posted links to WERE STUPID!!!

Last edited by 9star (2012-10-06 05:22:31)

#14 2012-10-05 14:23:14

9star
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

We recently had a similar case in Rockland with a woman that was feeding the seagulls.  She enjoyed doing it and the birds enjoyed eating but her neighbors didn't like the extra bird poop that the gulls produced.  The town eventually passed a law to make her stop.  So it's not just pigeons.  I've seen similar issues with ducks, geese, swans and even chickens (they run free in the San Diego Zoo). 

Here's one solution that they tried in Homer, Alaska:  A designated eagle feeding area!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=CYOyTEHcYQA

well i say that lady sound really kind and considerate!  there is nothing wrong with feeding birds!  and what has the eagle feeding area got to do with pigeons? can you tell me a bit ore about it?

#15 2012-10-05 15:28:53

ImagineIt
Scratcher

I love feeding them!

#16 2012-10-06 07:57:00

Daroach1
Scratcher

I love all animals. Pigeons are dangerous. I ain't gonna feed 'em. We clear?
Now, cockroaches are a different story. *goes to make chocolate chip cookies.*

Haha no. I don't feed roaches. But I don't mind 'em. They're fine by me, but, like pigeons,  I try not to be around them for safety reasons.
[/topic]

http://i47.tinypic.com/v83mhl.png

#17 2012-10-06 08:40:31

soupoftomato
Scratcher

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

9star wrote:

Here are some sources.

i will continue feeding them. they ARE NOT PESTS. we share our towns/cities/parks with them. they can't help "being a problem" (which i don't believe they do). and i never said that because they can't go in a public toilet doesn't make them pests! what i mean was tat they can't help pooing on things. and the reasons on the webpages you posted links to WERE STUPID!!!

We SHOULD NOT be sharing out towns/cities/parks. Pigeons should live in the wild but FEEDING attracts them back to the cities to poop on things and spread disease. Stop feeding, they stop coming and being pests.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#18 2012-10-06 09:05:30

nama
Scratcher

I personally like pigeons but I don't feed them

Also if you live in the USA like myself pigeons are not "wildlife" since they are all introduced from europe and are a major invasive species

And please explain why the reasons on those sites "WERE STUPID!!!" They seemed like perfectly valid reasons to me.

Last edited by nama (2012-10-06 20:47:53)

You say goodbye to 1.4, I say hello to 2.0.

#19 2012-10-06 16:36:42

luiysia
Scratcher

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

9star wrote:

Here are some sources.

You could avoid them pooping on things by not feeding them.

How exactly are the reasons on the websites I cited stupid? Those are all factual reasons backed up by statistics, as opposed to the anecdotal evidence you gave ("i'v been feeding the pigeon since i was like, five. and i havent  caught a single disease from them. but once i hand-fed a squirrel and i got salmonella really bad. "). Here's an anecdote: in Rotterdam, Holland, a mother of five caught pigeon lung from inhaling the dust from dried pigeon droppings that came from a nearby nest. She would clean off the fire escape outside with one child at a time and as a result her children also got sick, but not as badly.

Why aren't they pests? What do you think a pest is? The relevant definition that Oxford Dictionaries gives is "a destructive insect or other animal that attacks crops, food, livestock, etc." This fits pigeons completely - in farm areas they eat and contaminate grain that would otherwise go towards livestock or people. They mostly live in cities, though, because it is similar to their native habitat - cliffs and rock ledges in Europe, North Africa, and western Asia.

Lists of diseases that pigeons spread.

#20 2012-10-06 18:51:36

maxskywalker
Scratcher

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

9star wrote:

Here are some sources.

They are not inherently pests.  When they stick around in towns/cities/parks, they become pests.  They don't need us to feed them; they could just as easily survive in the wild on their own, and they would not create what problems they do now.  If you enjoy feeding them so much, go out into some woods or forest outside of town and feed them there.  Furthermore, just saying that a reason is 'stupid' is not a valid argument.  Try expounding on what makes them stupid.

#21 2012-10-06 20:39:17

nama
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Here are some sources.

They are not inherently pests.  When they stick around in towns/cities/parks, they become pests.  They don't need us to feed them; they could just as easily survive in the wild on their own, and they would not create what problems they do now.  If you enjoy feeding them so much, go out into some woods or forest outside of town and feed them there.  Furthermore, just saying that a reason is 'stupid' is not a valid argument.  Try expounding on what makes them stupid.

I love the word "Expound."
Anyway, yeah how WERE the reasons on those sites STUPID!!!

Last edited by nama (2012-10-06 20:39:30)

You say goodbye to 1.4, I say hello to 2.0.

#22 2012-10-06 21:30:16

luiysia
Scratcher

maxskywalker wrote:

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Here are some sources.

They wouldn't be in the woods or the forest because they nest in cliffs (or on ledges and the sides of buildings). Instead try feeding some native birds with a feeder (though even then you have to watch out for sparrows and starlings, who are also pests).

#23 2012-10-07 13:56:25

9star
Scratcher

Daroach1 wrote:

I love all animals. Pigeons are dangerous. I ain't gonna feed 'em. We clear?
Now, cockroaches are a different story. *goes to make chocolate chip cookies.*

Haha no. I don't feed roaches. But I don't mind 'em. They're fine by me, but, like pigeons,  I try not to be around them for safety reasons.
[/topic]

yeah right every day i hear people screaming: "oh help me a pigeon is ripping my throat out!!

some scientist have actually said that pigeons pose a very low health risk to humans.

#24 2012-10-07 13:59:47

777w
Scratcher

9star wrote:

some scientist have actually said that pigeons pose a very low health risk to humans.

whats your source

#25 2012-10-07 14:00:19

9star
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

9star wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Here are some sources.

We SHOULD NOT be sharing out towns/cities/parks. Pigeons should live in the wild but FEEDING attracts them back to the cities to poop on things and spread disease. Stop feeding, they stop coming and being pests.

feeding pigeons actually helps depressed people get better (TRUE FACT)

Board footer