This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#526 2013-04-20 17:37:29

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Re: .:; Idea Shop ;:.

Maltese_Falcon wrote:

Ok. I said 26 because there are 26 pieces of a rubik's cube. Oh well. Thanks! When I clicked on this topic, I was thinking He's going to hate it, He's going to hate it...I guess not. Thanks.

Number 2 (Animation):
You there. That's right. YOU! Sitting on your couch! Watching tv! Do you know what will happen if you keep sitting there? Let me show you...

June 28, 2133
Earth

You see Earth from outer space. Something doesn't look right. You fly closer in your dream bubble. That's it! There's no white! The arctic has melted! Antarctica is just a big chunk of land. No snow or ice anywhere. The clouds are a sickly green color. You fly through the streets of New York. Piles of garbage line them. They're deserted. Absolutely no one in the big city. You enter an apartment to check things out. You here a sound. You go upstairs. A family of five, a man, a woman, and their three children are staring, transfixed at the largest television monitor you've ever seen. They're all obese, the girl alone must be at least one hundred pounds, and she only looks eight years old. You tap the man's shoulder, but he doesn't notice. You're scared. You go to another house. The exact same thing happens. You get an idea. You fly to Washington DC. Surely the president must be all right! But then you feel sick. The white house is no longer there. Nor is the Capitol building. You realize that if the world continues on as it does, it'll turn into this. A place where there's no government, the world's polluted, and everyone's a slave to their television.
     You pop the dream bubble and you're back on the couch. You make a vow, never, ever, to let the tv get the best of you. You go outside and you start to exercise.

Oh, so that's why you had said that there were 26 levels! I get it now! That was a nice twist to top of your Rubik's cube idea, and no, the pun wasn't intended.

Also, why would I ever hate an idea? The only time I'd ever hate an idea is if someone put absolutely no effort or care into it, it was gross, or was... well I won't go into that.

Anyway, nice animation idea! It seems you like short sentences when it comes to ideas, which is a good literary tool, though I personally avoid doing anything in only short sentences.

Along with that, I really like the fear that you infused into this piece. I've seen some ideas that are good, though they don't carry any emotion. It's like they're the world's best robot, but can they make a person cry, or weep in joy? I personally need to work on this a bit, though you've nailed it from what I've seen.

The only other thing that I have to comment on is that you made this feel realistic, which was really nice.

Well thank you for the idea!

Also, if you can successfully read this, then you've earned your final prize:

!pohS aedI eht ot emocleW

With regards,

ErnieParke

http://i46.tinypic.com/35ismmc.png

#527 2013-04-20 18:17:35

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher

Yay! I'm glad I can read backward. I prefer longer sentences when I'm writing novels and such(I sent my first manuscript to a publisher today. I'll probably get rejected, as most writers do their first time, and this will be the first of a long, long line of rejections, but hopefully I'll get it published eventually). I'm part of the shop! Woohoo! And I should get Scratcher status this week, according to Hyerbola. This'll be an...(Sorry, I'm having lethologica. What's the word I'm looking for? I'll just use the word exciting) exciting week!

#528 2013-04-20 21:44:07

CAA14
Scratcher

Welcome Maltese_Falcon.  smile

Regards,

CAA14

#529 2013-04-21 14:03:59

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Maltese_Falcon wrote:

Yay! I'm glad I can read backward. I prefer longer sentences when I'm writing novels and such(I sent my first manuscript to a publisher today. I'll probably get rejected, as most writers do their first time, and this will be the first of a long, long line of rejections, but hopefully I'll get it published eventually). I'm part of the shop! Woohoo! And I should get Scratcher status this week, according to Hyerbola. This'll be an...(Sorry, I'm having lethologica. What's the word I'm looking for? I'll just use the word exciting) exciting week!

Well, seeing from what I've heard, then it will be.

Also, you're an author? That would explain why your ideas were so well built, but still, I had never expected this, especially considering how most people on Scratch are below the age of 19. Well, it's nice to know, and good luck on your first novel! I also have a friend who's interested in writing & publishing stories, and he should be sending his first one in soon.

With best wishes for your first novel,

ErnieParke

#530 2013-04-21 14:46:41

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher

Thanks, ErnieParke! Tell your friend that I say good luck. I'm so excited!

-Ronan

#531 2013-04-22 21:43:38

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher

I said my real name. Oops. Meant to say Maltese Falcon. Well, now you know...

-Maltese_Falcon

#532 2013-04-23 12:32:13

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

Read this and just realized that I'm still in the shop, even though I signed up for the beta shop.  Oops.   tongue

Well, any ideas for me to make an engine?
No lists or 3D stuff.

Alt of Firedrake969.

#533 2013-04-23 13:19:32

CAA14
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

Read this and just realized that I'm still in the shop, even though I signed up for the beta shop.  Oops.   tongue

No lists or 3D stuff.

Hmmm.... How about:

- auto-relayering engine

- Randomized explosion engine

- RPG engine.

Stuff like that.  wink

Regards,

CAA14

#534 2013-04-23 16:27:29

ErnieParke
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

No lists or 3D stuff.

Well, I might've just suggested a Pathfinding AI, except I'm already working on one and it'd require lists.

As for an engine (I hope that I'm not repeating any...), why not make some of these?

1). How about an accurate gravity engine? Meaning, it uses the formula for gravity:

9.8 ( (m*n) / (d^2) ) = f

m= Mass of object 1
n= Mass of object 2
d=distance between the two objects
f=force

You don't have to, though it'd make a great base for an Angry Birds Space game. You could even use arcade gravity if you want.

2). An achievement engine. This should be simple and easy to make.

3). A vivid fireworks engine. Although people won't use this often, it still is something nice to have around, especially the week before July 4th.

4). An engine for boxes. They'll have to obey gravity and be easily pushable. Also, if you want to go far enough, then you could also let them tilt whenever they fall.

5). If you ever can (which I doubt), why not make an engine that creates random music from trigonometric waves?

6). Have you ever seen one of those games where an object is hidden under, say, a cup, and once they're jumbled up, you get to pick a cup and take whatever's beneath it? Why not make an engine based on that?

Well, I hope that you like my ideas!

With regards,

ErnieParke

#535 2013-04-23 17:50:19

CAA14
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

firedrake969_test wrote:

No lists or 3D stuff.

Well, I might've just suggested a Pathfinding AI, except I'm already working on one and it'd require lists.

As for an engine (I hope that I'm not repeating any...), why not make some of these?

1). How about an accurate gravity engine? Meaning, it uses the formula for gravity:

9.8 ( (m*n) / (d^2) ) = f

m= Mass of object 1
n= Mass of object 2
d=distance between the two objects
f=force

You don't have to, though it'd make a great base for an Angry Birds Space game. You could even use arcade gravity if you want.

2). An achievement engine. This should be simple and easy to make.

3). A vivid fireworks engine. Although people won't use this often, it still is something nice to have around, especially the week before July 4th.

4). An engine for boxes. They'll have to obey gravity and be easily pushable. Also, if you want to go far enough, then you could also let them tilt whenever they fall.

5). If you ever can (which I doubt), why not make an engine that creates random music from trigonometric waves?

6). Have you ever seen one of those games where an object is hidden under, say, a cup, and once they're jumbled up, you get to pick a cup and take whatever's beneath it? Why not make an engine based on that?

Well, I hope that you like my ideas!

With regards,

ErnieParke

Wow, most of those would take some high level math, but i am not the one doing them, so hopefully Firedrake969 knows that kind of math.  smile

Regards,

CAA14

P.S. FireDrake969, if you would like some details on my ideas, just ask. I thought they were self explanatory, but still, if you need to know more feel free to ask.  wink

#536 2013-04-24 12:15:52

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

I like math.   big_smile   i <3 trig ( I need a shirt that says it, anyone know where I can get one?  tongue  )

I'll try 5.  The "music" will be odd, but OK!

Alt of Firedrake969.

#537 2013-04-24 15:03:06

CAA14-NL
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

I like math.   big_smile   i <3 trig ( I need a shirt that says it, anyone know where I can get one?  tongue  )

I absolutely love math as well, but i do not yet know trigonometry or geometry.  smile

Regards,

CAA14

Mind Blowing Math! Challenge yourself!
http://www.blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?action=random&amp;return=image&amp;link1=http://i45.tinypic.com/292oakk.png&amp;link2=http://i.imgur.com/t9kiBfd.png

#538 2013-04-24 16:24:44

ErnieParke
Scratcher

CAA14-NL wrote:

firedrake969_test wrote:

I absolutely love math as well, but i do not yet know trigonometry or geometry.  smile

Regards,

CAA14

sqrt(-1) ♥ math as well!

Anyway, you're actually going to try the fifth idea? That was an idea suggested to me by my school's Calculus teacher as a joke, though okay! Good luck with that!  smile

With regards,

ErnieParke

#539 2013-04-24 17:54:46

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher

sqrt(-1) 2^3 Σ π. <--My math teacher made that joke the other day. Can you decipher the hidden message? I LOVE MATH!!!

Anyway, how about...BINGO!
Something that lets you graph an equation...

...and then you get to ride a skateboard or a bike or a car, depending on what you pick, on the equation? And then each of them has a different mass, so they accelerate at different rates, and such?
Making math and science fun (For the people who don't think they're fun already)!

#540 2013-04-24 17:59:26

Programmer_112
Scratcher

Maltese_Falcon wrote:

sqrt(-1) 2^3 Σ π. <--My math teacher made that joke the other day. Can you decipher the hidden message? I LOVE MATH!!!

Best math pun ever made.

http://i49.tinypic.com/rk60py.png

#541 2013-04-24 18:19:52

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Maltese_Falcon wrote:

...and then you get to ride a skateboard or a bike or a car, depending on what you pick, on the equation? And then each of them has a different mass, so they accelerate at different rates, and such?
Making math and science fun (For the people who don't think they're fun already)!

That is a great pun!  big_smile

As for your idea, that's wonderful! I'd love to see support in it for parametric and polar equations, if anyone ever did it. Plus, why not add in the hyperbolic trig functions? That would be so much fun! And imagine if you added in summations, secants, cosecants, cotangents, derivatives, integrals, and imaginary numbers! Hopefully I'm not the only one imagining that last one.

Anyway, would you like your idea added to the Idea Collection?

With regards,

ErnieParke

#542 2013-04-24 20:15:03

CAA14
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

Maltese_Falcon wrote:

As for your idea, that's wonderful! I'd love to see support in it for parametric and polar equations, if anyone ever did it. Plus, why not add in the hyperbolic trig functions? That would be so much fun! And imagine if you added in summations, secants, cosecants, cotangents, derivatives, integrals, and imaginary numbers! Hopefully I'm not the only one imagining that last one.

With regards,

ErnieParke

I am assuming all those Math sounding things were just joke?

Regards,

CAA14

#543 2013-04-24 20:33:32

Maltese_Falcon
Scratcher

@CAA14, the square root of -1 is i. i stands for imaginary number, because no number times itself equals a negative number.
2^3 is 2 times 2 times 2. Which is 8.
Σ is sum.
π is pi.
i 8 sum pi.
I ate some pie.

#544 2013-04-24 20:50:42

ErnieParke
Scratcher

CAA14 wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

Maltese_Falcon wrote:

With regards,

ErnieParke

Regards,

CAA14

If you're talking about Maltese_Falcon's math, then yes, though if you were talking about my math, then that's yes and no.

With regards,

ErniePArke

Last edited by ErnieParke (2013-04-24 20:51:36)

#545 2013-04-24 22:47:24

CAA14
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

With regards,

ErnieParke

Regards,

CAA14

If you're talking about Maltese_Falcon's math, then yes, though if you were talking about my math, then that's yes and no.

With regards,

ErniePArke

Ah, i see. One day i'll catch up with y'all math wise, i do truly love it the best of all subjects.  smile

Maltese_Falcon: Thanks, i see now.  big_smile  I was thinking, "Square root of -1? Isn't that like impossible or a very very small number?" I know about powers, but i didn't really know the operator for it, "^", now i do., thanks to you.  wink

Regards,

CAA14

Last edited by CAA14 (2013-04-24 22:48:17)

#546 2013-04-25 12:26:19

firedrake969_test
Scratcher

Finished the trig music.   big_smile
Thinking of more ideas...

Alt of Firedrake969.

#547 2013-04-25 18:18:36

ErnieParke
Scratcher

firedrake969_test wrote:

You did? I'd love to see it!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

CAA14 wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

CAA14 wrote:

Regards,

CAA14

With regards,

ErniePArke

Ah, i see. One day i'll catch up with y'all math wise, i do truly love it the best of all subjects.  smile

Maltese_Falcon: Thanks, i see now.  big_smile  I was thinking, "Square root of -1? Isn't that like impossible or a very very small number?" I know about powers, but i didn't really know the operator for it, "^", now i do., thanks to you.  wink

Regards,

CAA14

Well, (in reply to your comment to Maltere_Falcon) you can take square roots of negative numbers. The negative just turns into an i, which is defined as the square root of -1. Now, you can do basically any square root! -16 becomes 4i, -81 becomes 9i, and so on. And you can even take the square root of imaginary numbers, which become mixed numbers (part real, part imaginary).  wink

As for math, it is truly the best of everything. If you ever can, I'd suggest going to some math tournaments because they have these awesome math problems that you will find no where else. They require quite a bit of thought, which I love.

With regards,

ErnieParke

Last edited by ErnieParke (2013-04-25 18:19:52)

#548 2013-04-25 18:39:20

Firedrake969
Scratcher

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Firedrake969/3289147

There ya go.

Click the sign.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/eterna/eterna2/logo2.png

#549 2013-04-25 20:51:20

alfiaw
Scratcher

Here's an idea - a project about a couple of TAPIRS who get run out of their native jungle in Central America and they run into a suburban mall where they have to deal with a bunch of kids and the kids' reactions to them. XD

Annie the Dog says, Check out my The EVOLUTION OF THE TAPIR! (Tapirs are almost as cute as me.)
http://www.plumsite.com/images/annie1.jpg

#550 2013-04-25 23:35:28

CAA14
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

firedrake969_test wrote:

You did? I'd love to see it!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

CAA14 wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

With regards,

ErniePArke

Regards,

CAA14

Well, (in reply to your comment to Maltere_Falcon) you can take square roots of negative numbers. The negative just turns into an i, which is defined as the square root of -1. Now, you can do basically any square root! -16 becomes 4i, -81 becomes 9i, and so on. And you can even take the square root of imaginary numbers, which become mixed numbers (part real, part imaginary).  wink

As for math, it is truly the best of everything. If you ever can, I'd suggest going to some math tournaments because they have these awesome math problems that you will find no where else. They require quite a bit of thought, which I love.

With regards,

ErnieParke

Yeah, i like thinking about algorithms and the like.  wink

Regards,

CAA14

Board footer