This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-09-08 11:11:15

ErnieParke
Scratcher

City Tycoon II

Most of you have already heard of City Tycoon, and since it was so popular, I decided to make a second one! So if you have any ideas or suggestions, put them here and I will consider them.

List of the buildings/decorations I have or plan to add:

Small, Medium and Big House (Added)
Apartments (Added)
Popcorn and Soda Stand (Added)
Pie Shop (Added)
Chinese Restaurant (Added)
Mart's Bank (Added)
Coco's Mall (Added)
Office (Added)
Pie Shop Headquarters (Added)
Federal Court (Added)
Post Office (Added)
Tourism Center (Added)
Clock Tower (Destructo-Serpent)

—•—•—•—

Statue of CT (City Tycoon) (Added)
Clock Tower (Added)
Golden Fountain (Added)
Fountain (Added)
Trees (2 types) (2 Added)
Pumpkin (Added)
Dead Bush (Added)
Pawn-shaped Bush (Added)
Welcome Sign (Added)
Snowman (Added)

—•—•—•—•—•—

Things I would like ideas on:

Anything extra that seems nice
Decorations

Progress Log:
85~95% Done

Last edited by ErnieParke (2012-12-26 14:04:19)

http://i46.tinypic.com/35ismmc.png

#2 2012-09-08 11:42:24

UltraAdam
Scratcher

Re: City Tycoon II

My idea:

Natural disasters:
There should be Natural disasters E.G I've got a good town!  big_smile  Earthquake My city is ruined!

Why:
I think it would make the game more interesting!  big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/oRiUo.gif

#3 2012-09-08 11:46:32

Borrego6165
Scratcher

good luck! I'm an expert with city games on scratch (no offence but I haven't been beaten on epic-ness) if you wanna know how to do the following just ask!

Tornados***
Fire**
UFO (with blast-able laser)***
Drive Mode***
Smooth Scrolling Terrain***
Isometric****
Top-Down***
Demolition****
Music Playlist****
Advisor****
Scenarios/Goals****
Huge Areas**** (unlimited tiles IF you can handle it, but 11025 is good)
Save Mode****

Plus loads more cool features!

If you can't find Generation: 4000, I've deleted it and I am uploading a special edition called 'Generation: 4001 Gold'. Free City Designer was made with the Scratch clone Panther and is not available.

** From Free City Designer (a.k.a. Generation: 2000)
*** From Generation: 3000
**** From Generation: 4000

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#4 2012-09-08 12:19:34

ErnieParke
Scratcher

UltraAdam wrote:

My idea:

Natural disasters:
There should be Natural disasters E.G I've got a good town!  big_smile  Earthquake My city is ruined!

Why:

My secret feature already makes the game more interesting, but I'll still think about this. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by ErnieParke (2012-09-08 12:25:20)

#5 2012-09-08 13:15:19

UltraAdam
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

UltraAdam wrote:

My idea:

Natural disasters:

Why:

My secret feature already makes the game more interesting, but I'll still think about this. Thanks for the feedback!

No prob! P.S You could have Tornado's and Harracane's  sorry for bad spelling D:

http://i.imgur.com/oRiUo.gif

#6 2012-09-08 13:47:21

Borrego6165
Scratcher

for a hurricane, you'd program it just like my tornado but much large and with a hole in the middle. The UFO is a little different, as only the laser destroys objects once blasted not the UFO itself, plus it cannot destroy until it hits the ground. Please check out my full list!

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#7 2012-09-08 13:50:36

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

for a hurricane, you'd program it just like my tornado but much large and with a hole in the middle. The UFO is a little different, as only the laser destroys objects once blasted not the UFO itself, plus it cannot destroy until it hits the ground. Please check out my full list!

I already have and I like some of the ideas. Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

#8 2012-09-09 22:25:39

football8onwer
New Scratcher

Terrorists, Car crashes, Traffic Jams, Bridges/buildings falling, UFOs, Natural Disasters, Power Plant explosions, Starvation, Plague...

Good luck with your game!

#9 2012-09-15 14:10:33

ErnieParke
Scratcher

football8onwer wrote:

Terrorists, Car crashes, Traffic Jams, Bridges/buildings falling, UFOs, Natural Disasters, Power Plant explosions, Starvation, Plague...

Good luck with your game!

Nice ideas and thanks!

#10 2012-09-16 13:29:54

peacefulpie
New Scratcher

the mellenium valcan you know from star wars

#11 2012-09-18 13:04:15

manvat
New Scratcher

cool game best game ever

#12 2012-09-18 15:07:46

ErnieParke
Scratcher

peacefulpie wrote:

That might be a nice natural disaster. Thanks for the idea!

#13 2012-09-18 15:15:31

Borrego6165
Scratcher

ErnieParke wrote:

peacefulpie wrote:

might work for futuristic levels if you allow the player to research into the future. i tried and failed with that in G:3000 with the hover car factory which allowed you to race hover cars around your city, i hope you do a better job! not sure if i asked you already but wanna collab on one for scratch 2.0?

#14 2012-09-18 15:27:50

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

peacefulpie wrote:

might work for futuristic levels if you allow the player to research into the future. i tried and failed with that in G:3000 with the hover car factory which allowed you to race hover cars around your city, i hope you do a better job! not sure if i asked you already but wanna collab on one for scratch 2.0?

I don't have any futuristic levels or buildings.

About your collab, I accept, but what would you like to collab on? I've already got a lot of City Tycoon II done, so it can't be that. Any ideas?

UltraAdam wrote:

ErnieParke wrote:

UltraAdam wrote:

My idea:

Natural disasters:

Why:

No prob! P.S You could have Tornado's and Harracane's  sorry for bad spelling D:

It's okay. I also have bad spelling at times.

Anyway, those would be some nice ideas. I'll think about adding them, but right now, I'm trying to get the buildings built into the game.

Last edited by ErnieParke (2012-09-21 21:29:14)

#15 2012-09-18 15:39:26

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Generation: Cities

That's right- G:Cities not G:5000, it's a reboot of the old series and I need a fresh start, hence the look out for a second person with a fresh look on it. I did not want to start it because there is an advantage with sharper graphics creating everything in the Scratch 2.0 editor (the benefits from vector graphics won't be as good with imported images) so I'm doing everything on paper than on day one of the release it's non-stop work.

There are some things you will have to adjust to. For example, this is not a tycoon, so you don't place random popcorn stands and get money every so often, every building has it's own unique purpose and it's easily possible to lose money every month as well as gaining money every month. So this is more than about making money, it's about building a sustainable city. I'm planning on creating many more game-play elements, including having to manage resources and mine them or import them from AI neighbours. Cloud variables could be used for online interactions between city mayors.

As you can see, your game was a tycoon decorated to look like a city builder, whereas working with me you'd have to get that out of your head and remember that this is a designer/creator/simulator and not only about making money.

It's complicated, but the key improvement will be on game-play, because G:4001 scored terribly on that aspect and so that's where I need to improve.

#16 2012-09-18 16:00:14

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

Generation: Cities

That's right- G:Cities not G:5000, it's a reboot of the old series and I need a fresh start, hence the look out for a second person with a fresh look on it. I did not want to start it because there is an advantage with sharper graphics creating everything in the Scratch 2.0 editor (the benefits from vector graphics won't be as good with imported images) so I'm doing everything on paper than on day one of the release it's non-stop work.
[I had noticied that your last tycoon looked a bit pixelated, so I agree with you that this would be a good idea. Also, (thanks school…), I will only be able to work on weekends and Fridays, so that might be a problem.]

There are some things you will have to adjust to. For example, this is not a tycoon, so you don't place random popcorn stands and get money every so often, every building has it's own unique purpose and it's easily possible to lose money every month as well as gaining money every month. So this is more than about making money, it's about building a sustainable city. I'm planning on creating many more game-play elements, including having to manage resources and mine them or import them from AI neighbours. Cloud variables could be used for online interactions between city mayors.
[Saving cities would be nice, but then cities can't be that big or else the cloud variables will become extremely crowded with huge cities, so we'll have to think about that when coming up with the size of our city.]

As you can see, your game was a tycoon decorated to look like a city builder, whereas working with me you'd have to get that out of your head and remember that this is a designer/creator/simulator and not only about making money.
[Okay.]

It's complicated, but the key improvement will be on game-play, because G:4001 scored terribly on that aspect and so that's where I need to improve.
[I know that it's complicated and I know how to make it even more complicated, though compact.]

Which is where I come into the puzzle. I'm already working on a tycoon with lots of features (clouds, people, secret feature, possibly more), so the experience would help a bit, especially the secret feature. I'm sort of glad that we won't be making Generation: Cities yet because I feel like my next tycoon will be really great.

Anyway, I get that you'll need to maintain a city in your game. The problem with your last tycoon is that you focused too much on that and lost sight of the gameplay (like you said above^^), so we'll need to keep that in mind when creating Generation: Cities. I also noticied a few glitches, and that the game didn't have any really special features (weather, people, ect...), though it was good, so we'll we'll need to keep that in mind as well.

Anyhow, would you like to make a separate thread for ideas and discussion? Also, will we be remixing each others projects and posting them on scratch (for the collab) or will we be doing our collab a different way?

Edit: I added some comments above^^.

Edit: I added some more comments above^^.

Last edited by ErnieParke (2012-09-18 16:13:08)

#17 2012-09-18 16:12:46

Borrego6165
Scratcher

about the special features, there was a day and night mode! plus, there was a music playlist to skip unwanted songs, and it's compatible with any songs the player adds. it is also programmed to show the song title's if the player adds them manually. another extra feature is the game speed (rarely used in other games) and there is the advisor and you can replace him with an evil one. Also, what glitches? loads have complained about glitches but when i ask they never reply. (btw I have been updating it all day today so you might have ran into an old bug, like if you placed an object above something else it crashed or if you tried to destroy something outside of the grid it crashed too).

Anyway, yeah I'll make an official discussion thread in collaborations. n if you wouldn't mind i'd love to get sneak peaks on your upcoming tycoon.

#18 2012-09-18 16:21:33

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

about the special features, there was a day and night mode! plus, there was a music playlist to skip unwanted songs, and it's compatible with any songs the player adds. it is also programmed to show the song title's if the player adds them manually. another extra feature is the game speed (rarely used in other games) and there is the advisor and you can replace him with an evil one. Also, what glitches? loads have complained about glitches but when i ask they never reply. (btw I have been updating it all day today so you might have ran into an old bug, like if you placed an object above something else it crashed or if you tried to destroy something outside of the grid it crashed too).

Anyway, yeah I'll make an official discussion thread in collaborations. n if you wouldn't mind i'd love to get sneak peaks on your upcoming tycoon.

Oh… I hadn't stayed for long on the game so I hadn't seen a lot of those. Anyway, my glitch was that sometimes, the game would glitch when trying to repave a road. Basically the timer would stay over the replaced road, but nothing would happen, or that's what I remembering happening. It was a while ago, so I might be wrong.

Anyway, about the sneek peek, I can't just take a snapshot because that would contain things that shouldn't be seen yet, but I'll think about it.

#19 2012-09-18 16:29:38

Borrego6165
Scratcher

i'd recommend you reload the game and repave a road again as it shouldn't happen again, just to let you know you have to remove an object (including roads) before you can build on them so it would never work anywhere (except this time it wouldn't glitch).

also, perhaps you could email them to me or upload them to somewhere on the site where not many scratchers will go to like a very old project? (just keep the project name the same and it will over-write!)

#20 2012-09-18 16:40:20

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

i'd recommend you reload the game and repave a road again as it shouldn't happen again, just to let you know you have to remove an object (including roads) before you can build on them so it would never work anywhere (except this time it wouldn't glitch).
[ smile ]

also, perhaps you could email them to me or upload them to somewhere on the site where not many scratchers will go to like a very old project? (just keep the project name the same and it will over-write!)
[I already know that. Anyway, how will we learn each other's email addresses? I'm not sure if the ST would allow us to paste our emails here for everyone to see, but I might be wrong.]

Comments above ^^.

Last edited by ErnieParke (2012-09-18 16:41:08)

#21 2012-09-18 16:49:36

Borrego6165
Scratcher

just upload them to an old project

#22 2012-09-18 16:50:48

Borrego6165
Scratcher

btw when you coming onto the collaboaration thread?

#23 2012-09-18 17:09:15

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

btw when you coming onto the collaboaration thread?

Now because I just found it.

#24 2012-09-20 15:17:32

ErnieParke
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

And here are the sneak peaks!

http://i.imgur.com/FIDwdl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eYh3Tl.jpg

#25 2012-09-20 15:21:49

The1UP
Scratcher

big_smile  There is smoke coming out of the house!

Ya know what, no signature. You have this useless dialogue to look at now.

Board footer