This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2012-09-03 11:08:44

Magnie
Scratcher

Little Server That Can (Chat.PY, Bit Art, etc.)

LSTC will be down for a while until I can fix the errors it's been giving me recently.

Welcome to the Little Server That Can. This topic is the official spot for Chat.PY and Bit Art.

Chat.PY 3.0

Project Here

Chat.PY is a chat project that allows you to communicate with friends and other Scratchers all around the world! It is basically a very simple IRC server and client and it's just about as hard/easy to connect as a normal IRC server. With this you can collaborate in real-time without needing to worry about the 60 second rule in the forums. You can also create a room for your collaboration so it doesn't interfere with the main conversation. Making it simple to keep unrelated conversations apart.

Rules:
1. Be nice.
2. No swearing. Period. -- Warn, IP-Ban
3. No chatboms. -- Warn, Mute, IP-Ban
4. Do not ask for personal info (city, address, phone number, school, etc). E-Mail, IM, etc. is fine.
5. Do not harrass others.

Privacy Policy:
I log all errors, sent chat messages (including PMs), IP addresses, etc. I'll only get into the user_messages log (and IPs, etc) if I need to verify harrassment or any problems. And if I read anything, I'll keep all PM conversations to myself. If you want a truly personal conversation, just email each other or use some sort of encryption on chat (or email).  smile

Chat.PY is a project meant for general chat and conversation. It's also meant as a place to collaborate in real-time rather than posting in the forums with what you've done on your project.

Basic control:
Now that you are connected, just hit the Green Flag, and a message something like "Welcome User## to the official Chat.PY 3.0 server!" (## is a number, usually higher than 1).

It should ask you to type in your name (Scratch name preferably). Once you put in your name, it should ask which room you would like to join. Type 'scratch' for that room. Once you are in, some people might be online, but sometimes no one will be on.

The best way to keep the chat active is to tell your friends about it, so that way we have people on all day and night so any new comers will feel welcome!  smile

Once you've talked for a while, you may want your collab to chat in a separate place from general chat. Well, thanks to multiple rooms, you can! You can even be in two rooms at once!

To join a room, simply type: /join [room name]. There should be a message saying that you've joined that room (or one saying the the room name is too long, if that's so, choose a shorter name). Once you are in there, you can click the arrows right above your 'Message Box'. In between those arrows, the variable should cange names, allowing you to change which room you plan on sending your next message to. If you feel this is too complicated, you can type /part [room name] to leave a room, and then you will only be sending and receiving messages from a single room.

If you ever accidentally type in a wrong name, you can easily change it by typing in /name [new name]. Making it very simple and quick.

Sometimes there may be a problem (no idea what it could be). If you do ever encounter one, try pressing the green flag and then it should be fixed. If it persists, post it on the forums about it and me or someone else will try to fix it for you.

Whenever there doesn't seem to be anyone online, try checking to see if you've typed in the right channel. If it's correct, type in /list. /list displays everyone who is in that channel. So if only you show up, then you are probably the only one in that room.

Proving your identity:
One of the many problems that I and many others have faced in the past, are imposters. People who take another person's name. The best way to prove that you are really you, is to get an account and logging into it.

You can create an account by typing in: /create [username] and it will respond with your username and password (that is automatically generated for you, for security reasons). Save your password somewhere, if you ever loose it or someone gets your password, I can easily change it (you'll need to comment on one of my projects to ask for a new one) and no harm should be done.

You can login to your account using: /auth [username] [password] and it should say whether you logged in or not.

If you want to see who is logged in as who, type in: /whois [name] and it should say the username and their server_level (how "powerful" they are).

If you ever feel like logging out, you can type: /logout

More Advanced Commands:
So there are more confusing and complicated things on Chat.PY, even though it's made to be as simple as possible, but with as much functionality as I can add.

/list-all shows everyone who is on the server (doesn't say which channel though).
/list-channels shows all the channels on the server.

Bit Art

Project Here

Bit Art is a live version of Molybdenum's 50 Bits  project. But on a larger scale (uses the entire scratch display). With it, you can draw 8-Bit like pictures, not just on your own, but with others as well! You can draw castles/villages or stickmen. Making it simple to draw together with your friends and other Scratchers!

It's extremely simple to use. All you need to do is connect, click the Green Flag, wait for the image to load, then start clicking (and dragging if you want) anywhere on the stage. It's that simple!

Connecting to LSTC

To connect to LSTC, you first need to activate Mesh. The simplest way to do this is by following the guide at the wiki here.

Once you enable Mesh, Shift-Click the 'Share' Menu and select 'Join Mesh'. A dialogue should appear asking what IP address. Type in 'voxinfinitus.net' or '69.164.193.192' (without quotes). If you typed in the domain name, then you are likely to get an error. When it appears, hit 'Proceed' and then click 'Join Mesh' and type in the domain again and it should work.

To verify that you are connected, Shift-Click the 'Share' menu again and if it gives new options, then you are connected. Don't click 'Leave Mesh', otherwise you'll disconnect and you will need to reconnect again. Now that you are connected, hit the Green Flag and you should be able to chat or draw at your leisure.

Yes, both projects use the same IP address to connect.

If you need any help, feel free to ask questions and me or someone else will be glad to help you.  smile

Once you are connected, please love-it the project that you have tried out and refer all your friends to it! We want a large community of Scratchers and Artists on Chat.PY and Bit Art!  big_smile

Last edited by Magnie (2012-10-16 14:22:05)

#2 2012-09-03 11:15:18

BirdByte
Scratcher

Re: Little Server That Can (Chat.PY, Bit Art, etc.)

Cool, you finished it!  big_smile

http://i50.tinypic.com/312u714.jpg

#3 2012-09-03 12:54:30

Magnie
Scratcher

BirdByte wrote:

Cool, you finished it!  big_smile

Yep! (But I hate how it was working just fine until I moved it to the server. xD)

#4 2012-09-03 13:29:50

zippynk
Scratcher

Amazing!

Anyone want to go on?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60598636/trifocal_interlude_soundcloud_button.png

#5 2012-09-03 15:25:53

GeonoTRON2000
Scratcher

OK... did you update the source repo?

http://i.imgur.com/BAEgGDL.png

#6 2012-09-03 16:54:34

Magnie
Scratcher

GeonoTRON2000 wrote:

OK... did you update the source repo?

I have not. I'll probably create a new repo since I don't remember my password for my original account and it's easier to login with OpenID. :p

#7 2012-09-03 17:18:51

bobbybee
Scratcher

I think I got banned from Bit Art.

I support the Free Software Foundation. Protect our digital rights!

#8 2012-09-03 17:25:59

Magnie
Scratcher

bobbybee wrote:

I think I got banned from Bit Art.

I've only banned one person. You shouldn't have any trouble.

#9 2012-09-03 17:37:58

bobbybee
Scratcher

While I was drawing (like my picture?), it just stop letting me draw. If I reconnecting, it would display the image, but I couldn't edit.

#10 2012-09-03 17:55:16

Magnie
Scratcher

bobbybee wrote:

While I was drawing (like my picture?), it just stop letting me draw. If I reconnecting, it would display the image, but I couldn't edit.

Odd, I haven't had any problems. But it sounds similar to what had happened to me earlier.

#11 2012-09-03 17:56:11

bobbybee
Scratcher

btw, how will you keep logs for this?

#12 2012-09-03 18:16:29

Magnie
Scratcher

bobbybee wrote:

btw, how will you keep logs for this?

Keeping logs of Bit Art would be insane. So I just plan on adding a  "who last placed" feature. So if someone comes on and the image is destroyed, they can just see who last placed a pixel and then report it here and then I can ban.

#13 2012-09-03 18:20:43

bobbybee
Scratcher

Alright, 2 people go on. Person A destroys, person B places the last pixel to take the blame away. But I got an idea. Every, idk, 60 secs, it takes a snapshot, and stores it. Then you can just revert.

#14 2012-09-03 21:04:18

Molybdenum
Scratcher

Hi! Any idea of a vid? I've looked at enabling mesh, and it looks a bit... Well, its hard to say. Sort of a "Looks like if you mess up somewhere it will mess up scratch and it will be hard to fix it without reinstalling scratch which I don't want to do because last time I checked it took 10 minutes and I'm not sure if my parents will let me and I don't know what I need to delete before I reinstall" feeling.

"The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake."
(|Balls and Platforms: Stay on!|) (|NaOS-H: An operating system... Or is it?|)

#15 2012-09-03 21:27:20

Magnie
Scratcher

Molybdenum wrote:

Hi! Any idea of a vid? I've looked at enabling mesh, and it looks a bit... Well, its hard to say. Sort of a "Looks like if you mess up somewhere it will mess up scratch and it will be hard to fix it without reinstalling scratch which I don't want to do because last time I checked it took 10 minutes and I'm not sure if my parents will let me and I don't know what I need to delete before I reinstall" feeling.

Technically you can do anything you want to the source code as long as you don't click "save image for end user".

#16 2012-09-04 15:05:45

playzooki
Scratcher

There is a censor bug

I iz a sig. So there. CLICK ME ITS SO IMPORTANT!!!!

#17 2012-09-04 16:40:50

Molybdenum
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

Molybdenum wrote:

Technically you can do anything you want to the source code as long as you don't click "save image for end user".

Point. So I could troll the entire code, and don't click SIfEU, and nothing bad will happen?

"The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake."

#18 2012-09-04 16:56:21

Magnie
Scratcher

Molybdenum wrote:

Magnie wrote:

Molybdenum wrote:

Point. So I could troll the entire code, and don't click SIfEU, and nothing bad will happen?

Well, it'll affect the main program, but you can just exit and then start Scratch up again and there will be no changes that you made earlier. Or if you are really paranoid, you can copy the entire Scratch folder from Program Files (or wherever it's located depending on your OS) into your Documents and then run the exe in the copied folder and then edit and save to your heart's desire and then in the original Scratch folder, copy the image over into the copied folder and have it replace the old image file and it'll be as if nothing happened.  smile

#19 2012-09-04 17:05:06

Molybdenum
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

Molybdenum wrote:

Magnie wrote:

Well, it'll affect the main program, but you can just exit and then start Scratch up again and there will be no changes that you made earlier. Or if you are really paranoid, you can copy the entire Scratch folder from Program Files (or wherever it's located depending on your OS) into your Documents and then run the exe in the copied folder and then edit and save to your heart's desire and then in the original Scratch folder, copy the image over into the copied folder and have it replace the old image file and it'll be as if nothing happened.  smile

I'm on! Mesh is easier than it looks.

#20 2012-09-05 18:04:41

ohaiderstudios
Scratcher

This is pretty cool. Nobody's on right now though D:

Do I get to be a mod on this one?  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Fork Clamor on GitHub!

#21 2012-09-05 19:40:05

Magnie
Scratcher

ohaiderstudios wrote:

This is pretty cool. Nobody's on right now though D:

Do I get to be a mod on this one?  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

Create an account and tell me the username.  smile

#22 2012-09-05 21:23:05

Molybdenum
Scratcher

Um, magnie:

My comment wrote:

Why do I randomly get silenced at times (5 sec), and why does "Hello there!" get censored to "*ponies* *ponies*"?

Also --- I was experimenting with a teachable (not learning - Those two aren't the same.) chatbot part of my bot, but /list didn't work, and the replies got censored randomly.

#23 2012-09-05 23:23:57

Magnie
Scratcher

Molybdenum wrote:

Um, magnie:

My comment wrote:

Why do I randomly get silenced at times (5 sec), and why does "Hello there!" get censored to "*ponies* *ponies*"?

Also --- I was experimenting with a teachable (not learning - Those two aren't the same.) chatbot part of my bot, but /list didn't work, and the replies got censored randomly.

I replied to your comment.

#24 2012-09-05 23:53:03

ohaiderstudios
Scratcher

My username is Ohaider.

How do I change my password to something memorable?

Fork Clamor on GitHub!

#25 2012-09-06 10:26:10

Magnie
Scratcher

ohaiderstudios wrote:

My username is Ohaider.

How do I change my password to something memorable?

It's meant to be random. I might make a password reset feature... But I don't think I'll make it so people can choose their passwords.  hmm

I'll add you as Mod ASAP.

Board footer