This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2012-08-22 11:26:58

MathWizz
Scratcher

Re: Help needed with slow running Scratch on RaspberryPi

SimpleScratch wrote:

" pasted it, selected it all, then right clicked on the text."
It was the selecting it that makes the difference - I hadn't done that.  JFI Its clicking on my scroll wheel that seems to bring up things on my RPi in squeak.
Ta again  smile

Yeah, on windows it is right clicking. On other operating systems it seems to be the mouse wheel.

SimpleScratch wrote:

"Every frame, the watcher resizes itself"  - Ah - I wonder if there are any other objects (timer.xpos,ypos etc) that do the same?

Simon

I think there is one other thing that might be doing something similar...

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

#27 2012-08-22 14:56:52

roijac
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

SimpleScratch wrote:

It was the selecting it that makes the difference - I hadn't done that.  JFI Its clicking on my scroll wheel that seems to bring up things on my RPi in squeak.
Ta again  smile

Yeah, on windows it is right clicking. On other operating systems it seems to be the mouse wheel.

SimpleScratch wrote:

"Every frame, the watcher resizes itself"  - Ah - I wonder if there are any other objects (timer.xpos,ypos etc) that do the same?

Simon

lists are also pretty heavy...
if the stage resizes itself it'd be hilarious  big_smile

#28 2012-08-22 15:02:17

MathWizz
Scratcher

roijac wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

SimpleScratch wrote:

Ta again  smile

SimpleScratch wrote:

Simon

lists are also pretty heavy...
if the stage resizes itself it'd be hilarious  big_smile

Lol. List ARE heavy. Also, when saving, they save the whole morph including all the red readouts. That is why lists save so slowly. I was just dealing with this issue here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MathWizz/2741707 It took 10 minutes to save. xD

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

#29 2012-08-22 15:55:07

blob8108
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

Lol. List ARE heavy. Also, when saving, they save the whole morph including all the red readouts. That is why lists save so slowly. I was just dealing with this issue here: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/MathWizz/2741707 It took 10 minutes to save. xD

You should try Kurt!  big_smile

EDIT: not that I've implemented lists into the de/compiler yet...  tongue

Last edited by blob8108 (2012-08-22 15:55:49)

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#30 2012-08-22 16:05:03

MathWizz
Scratcher

blob8108 wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

You mean I should edit the scripts with your exporter thing? You should make separate files for each list then. xD

Last edited by MathWizz (2012-08-22 16:05:23)

#31 2012-08-22 16:17:19

blob8108
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

blob8108 wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

You mean I should edit the scripts with your exporter thing? You should make separate files for each list then. xD

Yeah, that's the plan...  smile

#32 2012-08-22 17:37:05

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

Oi - @blob8108 - don't distract MathWhizz from finding any other "watcher" thingies that need sorting out  smile
Simon

#33 2012-08-22 18:06:15

blob8108
Scratcher

SimpleScratch wrote:

Oi - @blob8108 - don't distract MathWhizz from finding any other "watcher" thingies that need sorting out  smile

No worries  smile

#34 2012-08-25 05:56:13

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

@MathWHizz
Members of the Scratch team have now got across the issue on the RaspberryPi forums - thanks once more for you efforts in getting this moving  smile

Simon
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt … 66#p158166

#35 2012-08-25 06:13:48

jji7skyline
Scratcher

The image probably won't work unless it's compiled to work with the ARM architecture as far as I know. Also, I'm not surprised that Scratch is slow, because RPi simply isn't a powerful machine  smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#36 2012-08-25 07:13:47

nathanprocks
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

The image probably won't work unless it's compiled to work with the ARM architecture as far as I know. Also, I'm not surprised that Scratch is slow, because RPi simply isn't a powerful machine  smile

The image has nothing to do with the ARM architecture. The Squeak VM has to be compiled for different architectures though.

http://carrot.cassiedragonandfriends.org/Scratch_Signature/randomsig.php
http://trinary.site40.net/images/scratchrank.php?username=nathanprocks&display=small

#37 2012-08-25 08:51:59

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

Also, I'm not surprised that Scratch is slow, because RPi simply isn't a powerful machine

Of course, Scratch runs slower on the RaspberryPi due to it being approx 1/2 the speed of a low power  Windows netbook but that only affects fast moving type games - it doesn't really affect normal learning for youngsters  smile

The "bug" that we've dealing with here has only surfaced due to Scratch being implemented on the RaspberryPi - the fix will actually be useful to projects running on low pwr  Win Netbooks that have variables (scores etc) displayed on the screen.

Simon

PS One if things I'm working on with the RaspberryPi is to use Scratch to control its input and output pins so we can do stuff like mounting a RaspberrPi on couple of wheels and turning it into a wifi controlled robot.

Of course, if you've already got some Lego WeDo - I believe you can dive straight in and do this now  smile

Last edited by SimpleScratch (2012-08-25 08:56:33)

#38 2012-08-31 02:26:03

abee
Scratcher

Hello, Simon,
Updating variable watcher is high-cost operation, and Scratch do it every 100-150 ms.
So I made a patch to reduce update frequency to 1 sec.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1026229/reduceUpdateFrequency.1.cs
You can file in it from the "File List" tool after Shift-Click-R. To open "File List", click the background and choose "open..." from "World" menu then select "file list".

Cheers,
Kazuhiro Abe

P.S. I modified Scratch to handle GPIO of RasPi for controlling LEDs.
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=_Nf0Qh7tPCA
And I and my friends made a inexpensive sensor board named NanoBoardAG. It is compatible with PicoBoard and WeDo.
http://swikis.ddo.jp/WorldStethoscope/49
It works fine with RasPi.

#39 2012-08-31 20:03:21

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

@abee
Excellent work  smile

Do you have a change file for your modification for controlling LEDs please?  smile

regards
Simon

#40 2012-09-05 05:16:34

abee
Scratcher

SimpleScratch wrote:

Do you have a change file for your modification for controlling LEDs please?  smile

Here it is: RaspberryPiGPIO.cs
It enables to control a LED via GPIO of Raspberry Pi by motor blocks for WeDo.
It uses /sys/class/gpio/gpio4 pin for output.
You need to execute Scratch as a superuser.
No PWM support at the moment.

BTW, if continue this topic, it would be better to move to the following forum.
Connecting to the Physical World

#41 2012-09-05 11:42:28

Joewheeeeler
Scratcher

This may Help, If you have a Model of Raspberry Pi that supports USB (Universal Serial Bus) Then try to run the Scratch Program you have got off of the USB Memory Stick (If you have got one) That is all I can suggest... Only, That Might not work because you will also need to tell it to save the RAM and CPU Data onto the Memory stick, Possible but tricky...  wink

http://i.imgur.com/CxwNg.gif

#42 2012-09-25 17:39:57

dmurday
New Scratcher

Both the mods here make a huge difference to the performance of scratch on the raspberry pi. To the extent it is now useable without lots of sighing from young children!
I am also trying to use Scratch with the PiFace board. This communicated with Scratch using Mesh. As soon as i run the custom python scratch_handler for piface the CPU usage shoots up, although performance isn't too bad. Does the mesh in scratch have the same issue with checking for changes very regularly and hence hog the CPU?
I have put some delays in the python scratch_handler with no effect making me think the CPU usage is by scratch rather than the python script.

Anyone clever able to shed any light?

#43 2012-09-26 03:17:09

blob8108
Scratcher

dmurday wrote:

Both the mods here make a huge difference to the performance of scratch on the raspberry pi. To the extent it is now useable without lots of sighing from young children!
I am also trying to use Scratch with the PiFace board. This communicated with Scratch using Mesh. As soon as i run the custom python scratch_handler for piface the CPU usage shoots up, although performance isn't too bad. Does the mesh in scratch have the same issue with checking for changes very regularly and hence hog the CPU?
I have put some delays in the python scratch_handler with no effect making me think the CPU usage is by scratch rather than the python script.

Anyone clever able to shed any light?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Scratch, considering it seems to have notoriously high CPU usage. Does disabling Mesh make a difference?

#44 2012-09-26 13:28:51

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

@dmurday - My scratch_gpio_handler.py code was originally taken from the pi-face handler back at end of July 2012.

The code then was quite a CPU hogger (one of the main culprits was jsut sitting waiting for ctrl-c to be pressed  smile  )

But remember - this was just proof-of-concept at the time and the pi-face has only been released as a development board and not one intended to public (never mind young scratchers) to actually dailiy use.

I don't know if the code you have  has been updated but if you've a bit of time - you could maybe take my current code structure and try and graft the two together  smile
regards

Simon (simplesi/cymplecy)
PS AFAIK  Remote Sensor Connection is basically just Mesh and that doesn't actually seem to add in too much overhead  smile

Last edited by SimpleScratch (2012-09-26 13:31:06)

#45 2012-12-06 18:41:53

winkleink
New Scratcher

New to Scratch and wondering does the doing the script thing give the same result as using the provided scratch.image or do I have to use the .image as well as the script?
Thanks,
Albert.

#46 2013-03-29 18:52:47

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

New to Scratch

This is the advanced section  smile

But seriously,  things have changed a lot in the last 6 months and Scratch has now been modified at source so nothing needed at the moment to adjust it

Simon

Board footer