This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2010-06-05 19:08:00

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Re: The Scratch Wiki

dav09 wrote:

i really hope i get to join, my reasons are on the last page  smile

Don't worry - you will  smile . Just it will take a long while.

P.S. (to everyone): I'm at my friend's place for a B-day party, and there will be a sleepover, so I won't be able to reply to many of you right now. Sorry  sad

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#77 2010-06-05 19:54:35

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

I'd like to have an account as well!  smile  Thank you!

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#78 2010-06-05 21:40:22

steppenwulf
Scratcher

Looks good  smile  I will probably make an account.

I'm graduating HS this April and going to college in the Fall.

#79 2010-06-06 01:23:08

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

steppenwulf wrote:

You have to ask for one.  tongue
These are the people that want to join:

archmage
bharvey
Blade-Edge
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

9 people... should we make the accounts now, or wait for more people?
There's an article about becoming a contributor to the wiki - you can view it heresmile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-06-06 08:07:54)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#80 2010-06-06 01:52:57

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

steppenwulf wrote:

archmage
bharvey
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

8 people... should we make the accounts now, or wait for more people?
There's an article about becoming a contributor to the wiki - you can view it heresmile

I know you and I aren't on good terms, John, but I at least assumed you wouldn't ignore me out of proffesional courtesy.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#81 2010-06-06 02:00:16

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

steppenwulf wrote:

archmage
bharvey
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

I know you and I aren't on good terms, John, but I at least assumed you wouldn't ignore me out of proffesional courtesy.

All you said was "Hey, I had an account there too  yikes "... that doesn't mean that you wanted to join.  hmm  But you want to join... I'll add you.  smile

Aren't on good terms? Let's forget it. Friends!  big_smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#82 2010-06-06 06:56:38

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Jonathanpb wrote:

steppenwulf wrote:

archmage
bharvey
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

Not all of those people have directly asked to become a contributor. Not to be mean, but we just shouldn't assume things.   wink

(typing on iphone)

Also, they should have answered the questions on why you want to become a contributor, and how they plan to help, if they haven't done that yet.

Last edited by Lucario621 (2010-06-06 07:01:00)

#83 2010-06-06 07:34:11

Lucario621
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

not all admins are active all the time, so it can take some time to revert the edits.

Ah, but if you open the doors, you have 534,846 (as of this moment) editors, and some of them are always active -- I mean, at any moment, a lot of them are active, not that some particular one is always awake.  smile   Wikipedia is vandalized all the time, but you never actually see a vandalized article, because they get reverted within (I think I've read) a minute.

Sorry, I'm talking too much -- it's all Jens's fault for being on vacation and leaving me frustrated.  smile

No - I do see your point. But I do have to just put in my 2-cent argument about that.

Part of the reason behind the quick vandalism reverting on Wikipedia is because of bots. Yep - it does exactly what you think it does. In our case, it patrols recent edits, and reverts any that appear to be vandalism. In addition to that, on the anonymous user's talk page, it gives a warning, and if the user has 3 warnings than the user will be blocked. At least, this what Cluebot does.

Although I may be a very experienced contributor, I have very little experience with any of these bots - so I don't know how well they would go with our wiki.

Also, it's hard to tell, how much of the 500,000 scratchers are actually viewing/editingthe wiki, and how many are causing the vandalism.

So yeah - I don't know what else to sat  hmm - these are all very tough decisions.

#84 2010-06-06 07:47:14

Lucario621
Community Moderator

I'm sorry I haven't replied to all of your applications everyone - but just with 2 sentences even, I can guarentee that most of you will get in  smile . As for andrew and bharvey, I'll reply later when I have a computer, not a touch screen, because it sure takes a LONG time to make these messages!

#85 2010-06-06 08:08:25

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

steppenwulf wrote:

archmage
bharvey
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

Not all of those people have directly asked to become a contributor. Not to be mean, but we just shouldn't assume things.   wink

(typing on iphone)

Also, they should have answered the questions on why you want to become a contributor, and how they plan to help, if they haven't done that yet.

All of them said they wanted to join, though...

...but I suppose they can answer the questions, then.  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#86 2010-06-06 10:06:10

Lucario621
Community Moderator

@Jonathanpb: Nah nah nah, it's ok. I'm just checking...

Here's the list so far:

archmage
bharvey
Blade-Edge
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf
WeirdF

I guess I'll start talking to andres about giving them accounts  smile
WeirdF

#87 2010-06-06 10:53:54

dav09
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

i really hope i get to join, my reasons are on the last page  smile

Don't worry - you will  smile . Just it will take a long while.

P.S. (to everyone): I'm at my friend's place for a B-day party, and there will be a sleepover, so I won't be able to reply to many of you right now. Sorry  sad

thanks, you have gave alot of time towards this already... dont feel bad  smile

archmage
bharvey
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

There's an article about becoming a contributor to the wiki - you can view it here.

Yeah im on the list... i think the first wave of accounts is experimental, for the 2nd amount of contributers you will have a goods system in place, so you could test it for the first few contributers. I think all these are good non-spam scratchers.

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-06 11:01:16)

#88 2010-06-06 11:49:07

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

archmage
bharvey
coolstuff
dav09
demosthenes
scmb1
steppenwulf (?)
WeirdF

All you said was "Hey, I had an account there too  yikes "... that doesn't mean that you wanted to join.  hmm  But you want to join... I'll add you.  smile

Sure, but I don't really wanna join now

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#89 2010-06-06 12:39:03

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Blade-Edge wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

Sure, but I don't really wanna join now

Err... you don't? Ok then.

#90 2010-06-06 12:46:08

Lucario621
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

Ever heard of 'private wikis'

Yeah, there are lots of wikis with a small community of interested people.  But I haven't seen many examples of wikis that are widely read but not widely writeable, although I'm sure there must be some -- anything that can happen, does, sooner or later.

Your examples convince me that people should have to log in to edit.  But the signed examples in your collection were apparently all one person.  It'd be too bad if we can't deal with a small number of problem users without losing a great opportunity for community building.

I don't think it matters if the person has an account or not (signed or unsigned) - they still get the same consequences - so that wouldn't really matter in my examples...

bharvey wrote:

It's just like the real world (although with the stakes not so high): if you let yourself be terrified, then the terrorists win.

Right now, with the wiki just starting, the article topics are kind of bland.  What you get by letting everyone contribute is more idiosyncratic topics.  How to do sideways scrolling.  Creative uses of the camera feature.  Good and bad programming style.  Using other people's characters in your projects.  How much violence makes a project "inappropriate"?  What does the copyight law say about putting a music clip in a project?  Collected statistics about Scratchers.  You won't get articles like those with a top-down organization.

*looks up idiosyncratic in the dictionary*

Ohhhh - interesting. Yeah... you're right... It sure would give more variety to the wiki.

bharvey wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

Also, we don't want to have to ban users - it seems a little harsh, considering how often people are already being banned on the website.

But instead you, in effect, ban everyone!  Now that's what I'd call harsh.  It's an example of "collective punishment": somebody wrote a bad word on the bathroom wall, so the whole class doesn't get recess today.

I never thought of it that way D: I mean, that's how it works these days... but still you're right.

bharvey wrote:

Please don't feel personally attacked, by the way -- we're having, I hope, a friendly discussion about how best to build the community we all love.

It's ok - even I'm still learning  smile .

bharvey wrote:

But this open/closed thing is an issue I feel strongly about.  Right now, here at Berkeley where I teach undergraduates, there is a constant battle between the system staff and the students because the latter unplug the lab computers to plug in their laptops (even though the staff supply outlets for that purpose, sigh).  The staff threaten punishments and the students pretty much ignore them.  By contrast, when I was a high school teacher and got to run the computer lab however I wanted, I gave kids keys to the room and put them in charge of making it work, and no equipment was ever stolen or damaged.  You tend to get the kind of behavior you plan for, I think.

Interesting!

Overall, you have persuaded me towards your side - I think we should allow anonymous users to edit. It would be a ton of work - but it would arguably pay off.

#91 2010-06-06 13:16:01

dav09
Scratcher

no... not anonymous users... i think it would be very spammed very much, or at least have registered users too if you do go ahead  sad
these are just my thoughts.

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-06 13:17:44)

#92 2010-06-06 14:50:04

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

I added a segment on the front page for the wiki!

I used the image of Gobo as the logo but I think it would be great if someone made a better logo.

Perhaps something combining the Wikipedia logo and the Scratch logo?

The only requirement is that it has to be very small, the same size of the little Gobo: 35x24 pixels.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#93 2010-06-06 14:52:03

dav09
Scratcher

hey, did u get an account already? Are they giving accounts out at the moment?

#94 2010-06-06 15:22:24

demosthenes

I agree with bharvey!

Allowing everyone to edit things is what separates Wikipedia from Encyclopedia Britannica.

I'm glad bharvey has managed to convince you Lucario  smile  It will mean a lot of work to keep everything in check (a lot of work that 500,000+ users will help you with), but it will dramatically improve the wiki  big_smile

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#95 2010-06-06 15:27:07

dav09
Scratcher

dav09 wrote:

does anyone know this?

#96 2010-06-06 15:27:32

demosthenes

dav09 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

does anyone know this?

They are not.

#97 2010-06-06 15:31:03

jake451998
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

After constant work, and much dedication by some members of the community, the Scratch Wiki has been released!  Read more about it  in the blog post by Lucario621.

how do you sign up? I can't figure out how, do you need a wikipedia account?

#98 2010-06-06 15:33:48

jake451998
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

About signing up, see the message I just posted  smile

I see your idea - but one thing is, that users without accounts might become jealous that they can't created articles about their own projects. Secondly, it goes against our policy on no articles on projects or users (not counting Scratch Wiki account users).

Yeah might get messy... with spam

could I become a contributer? Thanks  smile

Also I really like this new wiki, well done, appreciate the time and effort

It's great that you want to be a contributor! But to help us with our decision, it would help if you could answer the following two questions:

-Why do you want to join the Scratch Wiki?
-How would you help the Scratch Wiki by becoming a contributor?

Thanks!

I wish to join to contribute pages EG scratcher series

I probably could help by my knowladge on pages currently not made, I also have page ideas. (I won't give out any examples for my ideas to avoid plagarism)

#99 2010-06-06 15:48:22

dav09
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

dav09 wrote:

dav09 wrote:

does anyone know this?

They are not.

ok just wanted to know how archmage got an acc  smile

Last edited by dav09 (2010-06-06 15:50:04)

#100 2010-06-06 15:50:15

Lucario621
Community Moderator

andresmh wrote:

I added a segment on the front page for the wiki!

I used the image of Gobo as the logo but I think it would be great if someone made a better logo.

Perhaps something combining the Wikipedia logo and the Scratch logo?

The only requirement is that it has to be very small, the same size of the little Gobo: 35x24 pixels.

Awesome!

I'm working on a logo  tongue

Board footer